The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hitmaster System Clutch Hit Controller Feedback...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutchtamer

Proven Member
Apr 29, 2015
Concrete, Washington
If you want an efficient 60' with an automatic, most of the magic is in the converter.
If you want an efficient 60' with a manual, most of the magic is in what the clutch is doing.
In both cases it's not so much about the converter/clutch itself, more about what the converter/clutch allows the engine to do.
What happens inside the bellhousing is what brings the engine and chassis together as an efficient package.

Here's some edited feedback on my Hitmaster system from a very quick AWD application...

"We recently got one of the Hitmaster's for our Drag Evo X. I believe XXXXXXXX called you a few weeks ago about how we were going to set it up.
Anyway we recently went back out and got some testing. Best 60ft to date (1.31) and the most consistent we have gotten the car to launch along with it being the smoothest it has ever launched. AWD cars need clutch slip to keep the car from bouncing around and this worked perfectly."

Grant

Last edited:
What you said is all valid and the launch is probably the most important aspect on the drag strip. I feel like people don't take the time and learning how to slip the clutch especially on a manual awd car so driver mod is the most critical imo. I probably have over 100 passes and tbh it took me a few years to learn how to slip and launch it. Once you get it, it's one of the best feeling about owning an awd. I see a lot of people not slipping the clutch and getting terrible wheel hop that you know at some point they're guaranteed to break something.

What is hitmaster system?

Basic Hitmaster system components...

HitMaster 1st Stage Control Valve functions to allow instant return of a controlled/adjustable volume of clutch fluid as soon as the clutch pedal is released. It's adjustment knob controls the intensity of the clutch's 1st stage "hit". Rotate the valve's knob counter-clockwise to make the clutch's 1st stage hit more aggressive, clockwise makes the clutch's 1st stage hit less aggressive.
2nd Stage Transition Valve functions to divert clutch fluid return flow into the 1st stage control valve when the clutch pedal is released. Can easily be configured to be active on "launch only" or "launch + shifts".
1st to 2nd Stage Transition Timer functions to control the timing of the system's transition from 1st stage to 2nd stage after launch.

Here's the shape of the typical pressure release curve you see at the slave / hyd throwout bearing...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hitmaster allows Clutch Psi to near instantly reach the "sweet spot" of engagement for launch, then dwell there as long as you want. Far different than the typical curve shapes produced by the Magnus style units...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Grant

Clutch Delay Valve and Clutch Hit Controller are two different things. CDV controls fluid return flow rate from the moment you pull your foot off the pedal. CHC controls initial fluid return flow volume with no delay.
CDV takes a while to get to the clutch's sweet spot, then passes thru that sweet spot too quickly.
CHC gets to the clutch's sweet spot almost instantly, then dwells there only as long as it needs to.

Far less wear/tear on your car/wallet using a hit controller, vs spending a few years perfecting the driver mod. Then even after you do finally perfect the driver mod, it's still pretty much impossible to produce the Hitmaster's curve shape and consistency with your foot.

Grant

I know a lot of import drag racers wish they had a race style "adjustable" clutch available that would fit inside their bellhousing.

The domestic V8 guys have those clutches available, but there is a growing trend of very competitive V8 racers setting those race style adjustable clutches up to act like a conventional diaphragm clutch, except with a clutch hit controller controlling the launch. They are removing all the centrifugal weights from the adjustable pressure plate's levers, then using spring pressure alone to get the clutch clamp pressure required. The basic advantage for them is that adding the clutch hit controller makes it possible to leave from a higher rpm than they could using centrifugal assist, no more "driving into the clutch" from a lower rpm to get the clutch slip needed for launch. Higher average rpm during launch, more power pulses in a tighter time frame. Look for guys with sky high launch rpm that doesn't tear up the starting line, they also might be running radials.

Grant

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back