The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Hit A Curb [Merged 12-8] curbed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DULUTHDSM

Probationary Member
Nov 21, 2002
Duluth_GA
So it was wet out, in a best buy parking lot and no cars around at all. So i decide to do some drifting. Except i think i went a lil over board because i kept sliding until i hit a curb (LOL) I hit it straight on. No flat tires, but the right side of the car seems to be affected. When i start it up in the morning now it sounds like metal clattering together by the right side of the wheel. Also, it feels like something is rubbing when i'm going between 0-30mph. Can feel it by how the steering wheel feels (know what im saying?) Any help would be great!

Thanks
-Jason-

When you start the car do you hear the sound at idle or when you reving the engine. Something might be loose or broken. If the right wheel pushed back toward the passenger fender. The same thing happend to my honda. I friend hit a curb with it and bent the wheel back. I would take the wheel off and see if there is anything bent or broken. thats the best advice i got. when i did it on my honda all i had to do was replace the lower control arm and something esle. That might be what happened to you. check the lower control arm

Did the same thing with mine at the Barnes and Nobel Parking lot. Found nothing was broke or wrong but got it re-aligned anyway. First of all hoiw fast do you think you were going when you hit the curb? One thing to check is the brake shield on the back of the brake assembly. Might have got some snow up in there and it froze creating an ice chunk. But I would get it in to a shop to get it checked out.

Alignment was WAY off and nothing was broken. So thats cool. Thanks for the help guys and CAREFUL DRIFTING!!!!! :D

ok guys, i was going like 5-10 mph in my moms focus, and i hit the curb, the car is ####ed now, i think the allignment is off or something becuse if the steering wheel is strait then the one wheel is strait and the other one is like pointng out a little. i dont know what to do. please help me on what you think is wrong wid it. im pretty sure i f'd up the allignment. it kinda looks like this

------- --------
------- --------
------- -------
------- --------
------- ------

But a lot load less than that pic shoes, just a little bit.

Thanks

ok guys, i was going like 5-10 mph in my moms focus, and i hit the curb, the car is ####ed now, i think the allignment is off or something becuse if the steering wheel is strait then the one wheel is strait and the other one is like pointng out a little. i dont know what to do. please help me on what you think is wrong wid it. im pretty sure i f'd up the allignment. Also, if it is the allignment, do you guys know how much it would be to get replaced.

Obviously the alignment is out of spec. My suggestion is to get it to a reputable alignment shop that can do a full inspection of the suspension. If your lucky all you will need is an alignment but it sounds like there may be something bent if you can actually see a difference between the way the wheels are facing. :(

dude...take the car to pep boys. you probably effed up the alignment and bent the wheel. I effed up my 95 GS that way...doing donuts in front of borders and slid on some ice. almost went thru the big a** window in front of the magazines! U should'a seen their faces when my car popped up pn the curb.

anyway...take it to a mechanic in the morning!

dbr

Here is what all i bent when i hit a curb in my talon doing around that speed.

CV shaft bent
Strut Bend
Lower control arm Bunt into a U
Wheel cracked in half
Tire shot
Along with some other minor stuff that was bent, bolts and whatnot.

Maybe more serouis that you think get it checked out ASAP

same thing happened to me, in my 67 mustang, what it was, was the lower control arm, after I got it off, it looked like a U shape, something that was supposed to be straight, it was pretty nasty, but I put a new one on and got it aligned and it was fine, but again, a 67 doesnt have a lot of complicated crap down there, its probably more than just a control arm in a newer car

yeah i went to get it checked out and i messed up the inner and outer tie rods and bent the control arm, although my dad doesnt believe me that i just slide intoa surb at 10mph he says it woulsnt do that musch damage. Someone back me up on this please.......

yeah i went to get it checked out and i messed up the inner and outer tie rods and bent the control arm, although my dad doesnt believe me that i just slide intoa surb at 10mph he says it woulsnt do that musch damage. Someone back me up on this please.......

I was jsut about to start a new thread about my buddys gsx that got muessed up he was just leabing a parking lot and he has the same problem as you moms focus!! so n e more info from you ugys would be great!,

ok what happened was i was going into the right hand turn lane at like 10 mph about 25 yards from the light and i just slide and kinda side swiped the curb, :cry: well i took it in this morning and i bent the inner and outer tie rods that had to be replaced, and i bent the control arm. they also didnt know if i did anything to the hub bearing becuse they couldnt tell till they drove it all fixed, the hub bearing would have been $250 more if it was bad but thank god it wasnt. well the total came out to be $378, but $340 with the 10% discount. Sucks ass that a collision at 10 mph can mess a car up so bad! :(

you can definitely do that much damage at 10mph! i was only doing about the same when I hot the curb, cars are not tanks anymore!

dbr

um, i bent my LCA and i was going about 40 and went OVER the curb. you should not have bent the LCA. take it to another shop and see what they think. im thinking that you tweaked the lower tie rod and it needs to be put back into adjustment. i dont know what the suspension on a focus looks like but if its a simalar setup to a dsm then you should not have bent it.

good luck
-Jeff

I hit the curb in my GSX about a month ago, the lower control arm took the hit and bent it pretty bad. I had to mess with the tie rods to get them to work with the new control arm I put in. The job sucked, although Michigan winter roads and boost don't match. I was going like 20mph at the most! So it can happen, just depends on the speed and how you hit the curb.

Joe

Originally posted by tabby5150
I hit the curb in my GSX about a month ago, the lower control arm took the hit and bent it pretty bad. I had to mess with the tie rods to get them to work with the new control arm I put in. The job sucked, although Michigan winter roads and boost don't match. I was going like 20mph at the most! So it can happen, just depends on the speed and how you hit the curb.

Joe

Damnit JOE!!!, I was gonna tell that story!!! :cry:

BTW, i thought you said 15. OMG J/K...

Steve. :thumb:

I hit a curb recently. But i did it goin 70. I was taking a turn during the night, hit a bump, and slid into the curb. Snapped the front right axle, brake lines, jacked up the strut, rear right control arm bent. Its a mess.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back