The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

High Oil Pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeRacer930

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2009
Brookpark, Ohio
Engine is stock with balance shafts and oil squirters. Running 10w30. Oil pressure will hit about 100psi at wot and 60psi at highway speeds. I've tried searching but can't seem to find an answer or every thread is about high pressure without balance shafts. Appreciate any ideas.

I'm not opposed to porting the relief valve. I just don't see why it should be necessary on a stock engine unless there was a problem.

What gauge are you using? Also where are you placing this gauge? It does seem high but id rather have high oil pressure then low. Mine hits 75 psi by 5k then holds it until 8k where it starts to creep up a bit. My ofh is ported heavily but i have no balance shafts or squirters

It's a cheap sw gauge I picked up from summit. It's in the ofh where the stock sending unit goes.

I had a brand new sending unit before I got the gauge and it was pegging the stock gauge. Cold idle is about 90 psi and warm maybe 5 psi (engine needs a rebuild)

Is this a mechanical gauge or electric sending unit/gauge? What ambient temps are these reading being taken in?
Seems like an inaccurate gauge to me, I know my electric innovate guage was all out of whack when I had it mounted directly to the OFH. vibrations killed it in a matter of days, and it never read real steady. Remote mounting the sensor helped with consistency and accuracy (verified by a mechanical gauge at a cylinder head oil port).

It's possible you have slightly high pressure, but your readings are really wide spread for me to think it's accurate.

It is electronic. I have started to notice its most likely the gauge as well. It read below 0 psi the other day but no dummy light on. I'm gonna try replacing the sending unit and remote mounting it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back