The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

High oil pressure and oil leak issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakk220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2010
Akron, Ohio
OK, so I just drove my car for the first time today after it got a fresh rebuild and have a few issues at hand. The first thing is that I am having high oil pressure. I did do a balance shaft elimination kit but I still feel like its even high for that. I do not have an after market gauge but going off the stock one when i hold 3k-3.5k low throttle rpms its about 3/4 of the way up the gauge. Just wondering if this is normal and if it would hurt anything if i just left it like this.

Also i have an oil leak at the filter housing that no matter how hard i try it wont go away. I put on a new gakset with RTV and let it dry over night and still leaking. I thought it might be cracked but when i replaced the gasket the leak moved from the bottom of the housing to the upper part. Any ideas why this might still be leaking after all this? it only leaks when the car is on and takes about 30 seconds before it starts leaking. Could this have something to do with the high oil pressure?

Sounds like you didnt port the oil filter housing after the bse?

No i didnt because im not sure how. but would that cause the oil leak? Or cause the oil pressure to be that high up?

Yes it could and most likely did cause the high oil pressure which intern can cause leaks. You can still pull the filter housing pretty easy. Search for how to do it, it not difficult. Good luck

It would help if you have a gauge. But if you port it, the pressure could drop. Did you check for cracks? Sometimes people change the oil pressure sending unit with one that has different threads which can crack it.

My advice for you is to get a aftermarket oil pressure gauge if your concerned with the pressure. Also pull the filter housing and inspect your surfaces for flatness, goudging or anything abnormal. Thats where I would start.

Yea i dont think that im going to port it quite yet, but the leak has me really confused. The reason i did not think it was cracked was because the leak moved from the bottom of the housing to the top after i replaced the gaskets. Didn't see any thing wrong with the surfaces though

Also does any one know what the readings might be for a stock oil pressure gauge? As in what is the oil pressure at the top mark on the gauge or half way mark? just a rough guess so i know about where my pressure is sitting?

Hooked up a gauge and oil pressure is 35 at idle and 110psi at 3k rpm. My question is where do I port the oil filter housing and how much? No idea where the pressures relief valve is really. Any info helps. Can't find out how to anyehere

Got the leak all figured out. Apparently the kid i bought the motor off of did not put a seal on the front balance shaft nor the little spacer thing that goes inside of it. Put a seal in and a spacer for it and bam.... no more leak.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back