The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

High Ohms At Coil/Misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firegst

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 29, 2012
Queen Creek, Arizona
Ok, So I am having a slight misfire at idle that I can hear and feel. If I drive the car more than say 30 miles the CEL will come on and in Link it says its a cylinder 3 misfire...I can also feel this mis if I am at say 2500rpm in second going down my street the car kinda wants to buck.

So I replaced the plugs(brp7es NGK) and wires(Bosch) and gaped the plugs to .30'
Tested the coils and got 1.1 ohms at the primary and 14.7-14.9 at the secondary...on both coil packs.

New Front 02 no boost or vaccum leaks either.

(I TESTED THE COILS BEFORE AND I DID GET SIMILAR NUMBERS TO THE ABOVE, BUT I USED AUTOZONE'S WEBSITE FOR THE SPECS AND THESE WERE OK, AFTER LOOKING ON ALL-DATA FOR FACTORY SPECS THIS SEEMS NOT TO BE THE CASE- OEM IS .70-.86 AT THE PRIMARY AND 11.3-15.3)

My question is could this high ohm reading be causing my mis at idle? I would think that if it were a coil pack issue that I would be getting the mis-fire on cylinders 3 and 2 being that they are coming from the same coil. Also could the out of spec primary cause this issue? If so why only on one cylinder? I have move the plugs around, and the wires, the miss doesn't follow.

Has anyone else had this issues with high ohm readings for the primary? Hoe could the mis-fire be on just the third cylinder if it were a coil pack related issue? I am stumped, thanks in advanced for any help.

The ignition transistor check out as well as the resistor box I have also swaped out injectors with no change.also I have swaped out coils twice. They had the same primary ohm spec around 1.1....could all three coil packs have been bad or do I have a different issue

These types of problems can be near anything and so are hard to find. Some ideas:

AllData is correct with their coil specs so yours are a little high. Higher resistance results in less maximum primary current in coil which gets less secondary voltage for the plugs. Slightly higher resistance usually isn't a big problem but perhaps yours are right near the edge since cyl 3 has a longer spark cable than 2 and only 3 misses, not 2. Can you replace cyl 2 cable with a longer one than 3 just for test purposes to see?

Or the PT doesn't have a solid ground (the case bottom is also ground and must be bolted to the head).

Or perhaps cyl 3 injectors are somewhat faulty.

These types of problems can be near anything and so are hard to find. Some ideas:

AllData is correct with their coil specs so yours are a little high. Higher resistance results in less maximum primary current in coil which gets less secondary voltage for the plugs. Slightly higher resistance usually isn't a big problem but perhaps yours are right near the edge since cyl 3 has a longer spark cable than 2 and only 3 misses, not 2. Can you replace cyl 2 cable with a longer one than 3 just for test purposes to see?

Or the PT doesn't have a solid ground (the case bottom is also ground and must be bolted to the head).

Or perhaps cyl 3 injectors are somewhat faulty.

Everything is grounded, The cables have been switched and I have new injectors.

The misfire has went from cylinder three to just a random misfire now code 0300. I did swap out too other coils from running cars and they were at the same specs as mine.. Could this be a tune issue?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back