The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

High idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elterror

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2011
FORT WORTH, Texas
Yes i know there is threads about this already but none have help me at all. :toobad: So my problem was that i had a bad TB shaft seal, so i whent ahead and started looking to get mind rebuild. But i ended up getting a rebuild n/t one with low miles and milspec turbo shaft seals from a tuner on the forums. Yes my car is turbo! I installed it not too long ago and started it up and there it idled at 3k RPMs!!!:ohdamn: The vacuum lines are all capped and sealed, egr blocked off, everything put on from what i have looked over many times!:| YES i checked my TPS! and i set it to spec and still. Oh and i opened the FIAV and decided to do the free fiav block off, link above. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-intake-exhaust/391977-free-fiav-block.html
Took it open and saw that it was all the way down already! WTF So guessing they did it because i could not screw the damn thing any lower! So i put it all together RTV the plug (guessing ya read the steps in the link above or know what im talking about) and re routed the TB coolant lines so the long one hooked up to the other line. I started it up and still had the high idle.........:banghead: Is this TB bad or something FML other thing is that it goes down when i connect my idle switch and it surges!!!:sosad:

I would guess your ISC motor is bad, or you have a vacuum leak.Have you tried a boost leak test yet?

Terry's Talon Troubleshooting Tips #3 - Fast Idle (aka. Idle Surge)

Sorry forgot to say that i replaced the ISC motor with the one i had in my old TB that work fine when it was on the car only problem with that TB was my shaft seal! And yes i did boost leak only leak i hear is one near manifold area but not that big still holds boost for almost a minute so it can be that causing my problem. I already look at his tips... My car was running fine until this installed TB!!!!!:banghead:

check your throttle cable, is it actually closed? It's not possible to idle at 3k. Idle position switch will prevent it. That being said one of three things must exist if it's holding 3k. Idle position switch is bad, Ground is missing from throttle body (idle position switch) and manifold/firewall or the throttle isn't really closed although you may think it is. Tight/sticking throttle cable can cause this as well as improperly installed seals or an improperly wound spring.

I would test the isc to be on the safe side, if you have a ohm meter only takes 5 mins. The way they go out on our cars, wouldn't hurt to double check. also I know you checked the tps, while its running losen the bolts on the cable itself and try to slide it towards the throttle body.

Ok sorry for the confusion, the car only idles at 3k when i dont have the idle switch connected, with it connected it idles at 2k and surges up and down! and i have even tryed starting the car with out the cable hooked to the TB.

I would test the isc to be on the safe side, if you have a ohm meter only takes 5 mins. The way they go out on our cars, wouldn't hurt to double check. also I know you checked the tps, while its running losen the bolts on the cable itself and try to slide it towards the throttle body.

What i also did was loosened the TPS while on the car (yea it was a pain to get that small wrench in that bottome bolt!:|) and moved it and the idle did not change? It was with out idle switch connected.

Ok sorry for the confusion, the car only idles at 3k when i dont have the idle switch connected, with it connected it idles at 2k and surges up and down! and i have even tryed starting the car with out the cable hooked to the TB.

What i also did was loosened the TPS while on the car (yea it was a pain to get that small wrench in that bottome bolt!:|) and moved it and the idle did not change? It was with out idle switch connected.

You have eliminated almost everything, since the only thing you changed was the throttle body and there are no boost leaks. I would try the ISC, If it test out ok then I am not sure where to go next.

You have eliminated almost everything, since the only thing you changed was the throttle body and there are no boost leaks. I would try the ISC, If it test out ok then I am not sure where to go next.

Ok but is that normal for the idle not change when moving the TPS installed on the car while running :confused: Waiting for my ECMLINK to get here to adjust the TPS better with that. Im like 99.9% is not the ISC, i mean the one that came with the TB and the one that was on my old and good TB could not be bad.:(

Didn't realize you had tried 2 different ones. It is pretty unlikely both would be bad, not impossible but unlikely. I would still double check it as thats the symptoms for a bad one. however I would think the tps should move the idle by moving it. Vfaq has a way to test it and adjust it correctly. unless you have a spare one to try or a junkyard close by I would test it first using vfaqs instructions. as a new one is quite expensive.

Didn't realize you had tried 2 different ones. It is pretty unlikely both would be bad, not impossible but unlikely. I would still double check it as thats the symptoms for a bad one. however I would think the tps should move the idle by moving it. Vfaq has a way to test it and adjust it correctly. unless you have a spare one to try or a junkyard close by I would test it first using vfaqs instructions. as a new one is quite expensive.

Well i tryed BOTH TPS too :| just weird how i move the tps and the car running and nothing changes!

Im having the same exact problems and i have done everything you have done... Help ###!!!!!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back