The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

HID's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stgenitalon

Probationary Member
Nov 30, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
What do I have to do to get HID's on my 1g? Is it possible to keep the pop up function or do I HAVE to convert to sleepy eye? I really like the pop up function and if i could have Hids in them that would be awesome... I have some friends that are mechanically inclined and one works at a porsche dealership so if its complicated I can have him help me out LOL. I just need to know if theres like a guide or something if its custom or If I can just buy them... Thank you in advance guys!

we have sealed beams so its harder but you can get an h4 headlight kit from ebay for like 30 bucks and an h4 hid kit for like 50-70 bucks depending on what you want (55w,35w,bi-xenon,xenon low-halogen hi,slim or thick ballast) and if the h4 kit didnt have a harness you need a h4 bulb adapter that you hard wire into your stock h4666 harness and then you can have a hids and the sleeppy eye or all the way up or all the way down look. hope that helps if you have any questions feel free to pm

I am pretty sure nobody here except norcal drifter realizes you can just change the bulbs on 1ga's, as they are sealed headlights...

i believe ebay has a combo package, its a black housing headlight with a cheapo projector and the hid ballast bulb, ect. ive looked into it myself and i personally know someone that has hid's with the pop up function still in tact.

i have 1ga flipups with hids. ill get some pics when it stops snowing.

you cant just buy a kit you need a conversion... the ebay ones need to be the diamond chrome ones. the black "projector" ones are garbage! not only does the black housing not reflect any light but the projector is just a cheap plastic piece in front of the bulb which worsens the light output even more, stick with the regular h4 6x4 headlight and h4 hid kit stay with 5000-6000k for visible light

I'm buying a set of hid projectors from The Retrofit Source and retrofitting them into the blacked reflector, clear lens ebay housings. Bought the hid ebay kit and light went everywhere but on the road. So I'm going to do it right and have some good light.
I installed some small rectangular 55watt driving lights where the stock fogs are and they where brighter than my stock high beams. They just sit to close to the road and cast some shadows, they helped out a lot but still need more light.
1ga's have horrible factory lights.

I am running DDMtuning,not bad quality either.

I am also currently running DDMtuning's HID slim ballast kit for a few months and I am satisfied with the product. Really easy to install on my 2G, not too sure on a 1G. I am a fan of retrofitting a set of HIDs but i dont have the time or the money.

So all i have to do is buy the stuff from ebay an ill be good? an by hardwiring what you mean? Also will i still have the pop up function to still work? id love that..

yeah just buy what you need which is 1. 4x6 h4 clear headlights 2.h4 hid kit get high and low even if low is xenon and hi is halogen 3.h4 harness and thats it, you replace your sealed beams with the ebay ones,clip in the h4 hid bulb in the housing, screw the housing in the flip up housing, wire the cables threw the back make sure they have slack so the headlights go up and down and dont get snagged, wire it into the ballast and mount the ballast on the inner fender or under the aircan if you still have it or wherever you like, then cut off your stock headlight harness plug and solder the new h4 harness plug to the old headlight harness ( + HI to +HI,- to -,+ low to + low) its something like (/ =ground) (_ = hi power) (l =low beam) so the h4666 harness looks like ( /_l ) and the new h4 harness looks like ( l_l ) where the left l=hi beam, _=low beam and the right l=ground..if your looking at the plug, and thats it you plug everything up but if your uncomfortable with electrical stuff i think theres a plug and play h4 harness somewhere and thats it you have hids..... but if you have an hid kit that flickers and doesnt want to turn on or turns on then turns off, you might like a lot of 1gs need a relay kit, where you get power straight from the battery via relay the place where you decide to get the hid kit from should carry them. hope that helps sorry for the novel just trying to help a fellow dsm'r out

this is what im working on right now
2010 corvette z06 hid projector retrofitted into a 4x6 headlight for my 1ga
crappy phone pics
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

cut off up close

what my set up consist of

Last edited:
yeah just buy what you need which is 1. 4x6 h4 clear headlights 2.h4 hid kit get high and low even if low is xenon and hi is halogen 3.h4 harness and thats it, you replace your sealed beams with the ebay ones,clip in the h4 hid bulb in the housing, screw the housing in the flip up housing, wire the cables threw the back make sure they have slack so the headlights go up and down and dont get snagged, wire it into the ballast and mount the ballast on the inner fender or under the aircan if you still have it or wherever you like, then cut off your stock headlight harness plug and solder the new h4 harness plug to the old headlight harness ( + HI to +HI,- to -,+ low to + low) its something like (/ =ground) (_ = hi power) (l =low beam) so the h4666 harness looks like ( /_l ) and the new h4 harness looks like ( l_l ) where the left l=hi beam, _=low beam and the right l=ground..if your looking at the plug, and thats it you plug everything up but if your uncomfortable with electrical stuff i think theres a plug and play h4 harness somewhere and thats it you have hids..... but if you have an hid kit that flickers and doesnt want to turn on or turns on then turns off, you might like a lot of 1gs need a relay kit, where you get power straight from the battery via relay the place where you decide to get the hid kit from should carry them. hope that helps sorry for the novel just trying to help a fellow dsm'r out

crappy phone pics

cut off up close

Now that sir is the correct way to run HID's in a vehicle. That way you dont blind on coming traffic.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Good Retro fit!;)

crappy phone pics

cut off up close

Interesting, Just wondering when you cut the H4666 housing how much of the projector is sticking out of the housing?

that looks sick! an great job! I cant wait to do this :) thanks i really appreciate it man.

i didnt use the h4666 housing i used the h4 ebay housing. theres like 1" 1/2 sticking out, i cut it with a dremel. it fits perfect, in the housing doesn't hit anything, ill post pics after it stops raining so i can finish the other headlight then i need to wire it up. yeah man no problem if you have any questions shoot me a pm

finally stopped raining and finished my install still messing with the wiring but overall cant complain, i can see at night now!

hid retro vs stock

projector looks brighter than it is...camera phone looks good but doesn't blind people

both finished

looking at it from the back of the housing still a lot of room and play for the flip ups

let me get some feed back!

that looks awesome! sorry I havent been on my account for such a long time LOL. I even have a probationary thing on it for not having been on for so long...anyways. So all you did was buy the H4 an...Trim it? i guess and put projectors? I was wondering if they dont have a similar style of lights on some other car and an hid kit? or is it possible to just hook up an hid kit to it or something? I guess then it would end up being some custom thing right?I do love the projector look though...looks sick!

Wow! Those HIDs sure do make a tremendous difference.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back