The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

HID install parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clipto

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Did some research on HID but I can't figure out what exatcly to get.Just looking for a basic hid kit for my 95 eagle talon looking for bright blue light setup, but not sure what stuff to get just not to crazy bright.

What do you not get? Just get a plug and play kit, most come with double sided tape to mount the ballasts, some dont. If they dont you can get it at walmart for like $3.

Also most have mounting tabs that you can put screws through, most hardware stores sell self drilling screws which makes it almost fool proof. I personally hate seeing the blue HID's coming at me because i nearly have to close my eyes to not get blinded. A nice set of 4 or 5K's get the job done and still look nice.

Maybe even a 6K set for a tint of blue if you just have to have it.

Do you know what kind of shops can install hid kits?

If its still in business since your in portland, Shortgeared might still be running and doing work. They mainly do honda but anyone who knows how to turn a wrench can install HID's. And i know the owner, he's a decent guy and has good prices and does pretty good work.

You aren't planning on putting these in your stock headlight housings are you?

Do you know what kind of shops can install hid kits?

You can install the lights yourself. Just pull out the old bulbs, install the "HID" bulbs, plug one connector into the ballast and the other into the existing harness plug. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be modifying cars.

On a side note, these "plug and play" kits are not true HIDs, just the filaments put into a standard base. True HIDs are either D1R or D2S bulbs and require special projector housings (in the case of D2S bulbs) or special reflector housings (in the case of D1R bulbs) that have the necessary beam cutoff that give the crisp edge HIDs are known for. You can get by with re-adjusting your headlights so the intense light doesn't glare at oncoming traffic, but it's only a bandaid.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend that you don't go with an 8K bulb because the light output is significantly LESS than your OE bulbs. Remember that the higher the Kelvin, the less luminance you get. I wouldn't go any higher than 6K if you want that "blue" look. And if you think that "hey, I'll just get the 55w kit to increase light output to compensate for the loss in light", HIDs don't work that way. It does make the light intensity brighter, thus reflecting brighter in the housing, but doesn't project it out in a direct pattern.

If you're going to swap to HIDs, my vote is to fully retrofit the housings to accept HID specific projector housings. Look here for everything you need: Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

If its still in business since your in portland, Shortgeared might still be running and doing work. They mainly do honda but anyone who knows how to turn a wrench can install HID's. And i know the owner, he's a decent guy and has good prices and does pretty good work.

You aren't planning on putting these in your stock headlight housings are you?

Do I need run something beseides the stock housing I am willing to switch I just don't know what to get.

I don't like electrical especially on dsm's. :p

Do I need run something beseides the stock housing I am willing to switch I just don't know what to get.

I don't like electrical especially on dsm's. :p

Stock headlight housings will blind oncoming traffic when you put HID's into them. You need at least some type of projector housing, e-bay ones even are better then nothing else.

A plug and play kit really has nothing electrical to it, if you can unplug a toaster, you can change headlights. :thumb:

The housings are another story, but a little searching will have you set there in no time.

Stock headlight housings will blind oncoming traffic when you put HID's into them. You need at least some type of projector housing, e-bay ones even are better then nothing else.

A plug and play kit really has nothing electrical to it, if you can unplug a toaster, you can change headlights. :thumb:

The housings are another story, but a little searching will have you set there in no time.

Haha did some more research looks like I found out it's super easy.Need look into projector housing all tho payback for being blinded all the time is nice.:p Would lowering the headlight leveler help out with the blindness to oncoming traffic?Are these the kind of projector lights your talking about?http://www.360tuners.com/95-96mitsubishieclipseeagletalonhaloprojectorheadlights-pairsmoke.aspx

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back