The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Hi I'm new and have questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludsm97

Proven Member
Feb 15, 2016
Tampa, Florida
So I just got a 97 gst eclipse. I have a 4g63 motor with a few things done to it. It currently has a 20G turbo that I need to replace. I have a FP manifold currently and was wondering if a hx35 would be a direct bolt on similar to the FP turbos. Also question regarding e85, should I go full e85 or half? If you can help I would greatly appreciate it

Hey guys new question, was trying to look all over on the forums but really couldn't find anything that answered my question. So I have a greddy catch can that came with the car but how do I empty it? Does it have a drain? Do I have to disconnect the entire thing? It is full and needs to be drained. Wondering how to do so, if anyone has one and has done it before lmk asap

And is their any store online that I could get a oem coil pack for a 2g 4g63 gst?

Dealer jnz extreme psi.

Thanks

Looking into get a pte4431e turbo setup with external wastegate. I've seen the turbo is rated 500+hp has anyone had it before? I'm looking to make around 480-500hp. I also have the supporting mods to due so. Is it a medium size turbo? Just want you guys opinion on spool and generally the turbo.

What's you guys favorite oil to run, gonna do an oil change.

@Ludsm97, you should start here by filling out your profile to others can provide you with the best advice possible: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/we...o-create-a-dsm-profile.499707/#post-153564173

It's hard to give good advice without knowing more about your car, which is exactly why filling out your profile accurately is so important. For example, it's hard to make recommendations on what fuel to use, when we're not even sure what your fuel system is currently capable. Upgrades typically build on one another, so without knowing your specific blueprint, it's impossible give advice to assist you in achieving a certain end state.

I'd stick with the Holset HX35. The spool rocks! Get a 7 blade for the extra room to grow.

50/50 E85 works great! Its easy to tune, u don't need as large of injectors, there's enough gas to not have the downsides of running 100% E85. I ran that blend for years. I believe I was hitting 30 psi at 3800 back when I had the DSM bolt on housing on my HX35. Tune aggressive down low to increase spool up.

I'm currently running a 60/40 mixture and I've been doing it for about 4 years. 9.3:1 CR, 21* timing and 38 psi with zero knock issues.

Oil choice is a highly debated topic and everyone has an opinion. If u beat the hell out of your car like I do, your going to want an oil with a high load carrying capacity and sufficient amount of anti-wear additive. Specifically ZDDP. I've recently switched to Joe Gibbs XP7 after 8 years of running Rotella 15W40. Unfortunately they changed the formula over the last year or so because of the new/pending diesel emissions. So my $20 oil changes are a thing of the past now...I did a lot of research before I chose a new oil. High revs, high boost, extreme cylinder pressures and E85 demand an oil up to the task.

So I got the FP black with oil feed and drain. Have water lines as well. Anything else I need to put on to the turbo to run it? As far as lines? Oil return line? Or is the oil feed and drain all I need?

@Ludsm97, you should start here by filling out your profile to others can provide you with the best advice possible: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/we...o-create-a-dsm-profile.499707/#post-153564173

It's hard to give good advice without knowing more about your car, which is exactly why filling out your profile accurately is so important. For example, it's hard to make recommendations on what fuel to use, when we're not even sure what your fuel system is currently capable. Upgrades typically build on one another, so without knowing your specific blueprint, it's impossible give advice to assist you in achieving a certain end state.
Went to look at your profile but it doesn't exist... still...
Not trying to be a dick but it's one of those "help us help you" saves a lot of hassle. :thumb:
Hope you like the turbo, should be fun!

So can anyone help me out? Have oil feed and drain for my FP black. Was wondering if I need any other line for install. Currently have a 20G on there. Could use the same water lines. Help?

I'd stick with the Holset HX35. The spool rocks! Get a 7 blade for the extra room to grow.

50/50 E85 works great! Its easy to tune, u don't need as large of injectors, there's enough gas to not have the downsides of running 100% E85. I ran that blend for years. I believe I was hitting 30 psi at 3800 back when I had the DSM bolt on housing on my HX35. Tune aggressive down low to increase spool up.

I'm currently running a 60/40 mixture and I've been doing it for about 4 years. 9.3:1 CR, 21* timing and 38 psi with zero knock issues.

Oil choice is a highly debated topic and everyone has an opinion. If u beat the hell out of your car like I do, your going to want an oil with a high load carrying capacity and sufficient amount of anti-wear additive. Specifically ZDDP. I've recently switched to Joe Gibbs XP7 after 8 years of running Rotella 15W40. Unfortunately they changed the formula over the last year or so because of the new/pending diesel emissions. So my $20 oil changes are a thing of the past now...I did a lot of research before I chose a new oil. High revs, high boost, extreme cylinder pressures and E85 demand an oil up to the task.

I'm gonna run the vr1 10w30 oil from valvoline

So I got the FP black with oil feed and drain. Have water lines as well. Anything else I need to put on to the turbo to run it? As far as lines? Oil return line? Or is the oil feed and drain all I need?
Oil return is the "drain"

Those are the 2 things you need, I'm not to familiar with the black but I'm pretty sure the water lines will work from your current setup. Definitely get in touch with FP and ask all the questions you need until you have it right! Its very important to setup the turbo how they recommend for warranty issues and just overall health of the turbo in general.

Are you running it internally gated? Just realized its in your profile, looks like the cars setup pretty well. Maintenance is your best friend with these cars! I don't care what was replaced recently I would personally go over EVERYTHING!

Oil return is the "drain"

Those are the 2 things you need, I'm not to familiar with the black but I'm pretty sure the water lines will work from your current setup. Definitely get in touch with FP and ask all the questions you need until you have it right! Its very important to setup the turbo how they recommend for warranty issues and just overall health of the turbo in general.

Are you running it internally gated? Just realized its in your profile, looks like the cars setup pretty well. Maintenance is your best friend with these cars! I don't care what was replaced recently I would personally go over EVERYTHING!

Thanks!

So you'd put 20w 50 for warm weather? I've heard the 10 is better for warm weather
No, 10-weight is generally used in cold weather. Think about viscosity at different temperatures. If you have too thick of an oil in cold weather, it might be too thick on startup to properly circulate and lubricate all the parts well until the motor warms up. Obviously not great. If where you are gets warm some days and cool others (like idk 50 degrees), I'd mix the 20w and 10w to achieve something like a 15w. If it stays above 70 degrees or so for the most part I'd stick with the 20w. 20w-50 Brad Penn Racing oil is what FP (who you bought your turbo from) runs on their shop evo. These motors like thicker oils. When were beating on them the thicker oil provides more support for all the journals and is better for preventing metal to metal contact. A lot of guys just do 10w-30 for winter and 20w-50 for summer or substitute one or the other for 15w-40 depending on their climate.

No, 10-weight is generally used in cold weather. Think about viscosity at different temperatures. If you have too thick of an oil in cold weather, it might be too thick on startup to properly circulate and lubricate all the parts well until the motor warms up. Obviously not great. If where you are gets warm some days and cool others (like idk 50 degrees), I'd mix the 20w and 10w to achieve something like a 15w. If it stays above 70 degrees or so for the most part I'd stick with the 20w. 20w-50 Brad Penn Racing oil is what FP (who you bought your turbo from) runs on their shop evo. These motors like thicker oils. When were beating on them the thicker oil provides more support for all the journals and is better for preventing metal to metal contact. A lot of guys just do 10w-30 for winter and 20w-50 for summer or substitute one or the other for 15w-40 depending on their climate.

Yea I live in Florida so it's hot year round. So I'll probably go straight 20 50

I've been watching this too just to see how he goes with it. He joined on my birthday so I kinda got to :thumb: I love my Holset but have had a wonderful 20g before this that was better down low, it just couldn't flow what I needed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back