The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Hi All, New Member, Original '92 Talon TSi AWD Manual Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
Hi everyone, I'm just introducing myself as a new site member but the original and only owner of a 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD manual that's been sitting around for a few years due to a bad clutch and some other issues that I'm finally getting around to fixing, with the hopes of getting it running and gradually restoring it to original condition or as close to it as possible.

Nothing's seriously wrong with the car, original everything except the obvious maintenance replacement parts like pads, rotors, tires, belts, etc. No mods obviously with no intention at this point of making any, except perhaps an upgraded clutch and flywheel just in case I eventually decide to try to get the HP up a bit, but even if I do it won't be that much, probably no more than 250-300 if that. I don't race, rally or do any of that and doubt I ever will. I just want to get back the feel of the car when it was in prime condition.

The car has around 79,000 miles on it, mostly highway but also quite a bit in-town. During all the years I drove it, including twice cross-country (thus my user name), it mostly ran great, with relatively few problems. I had to replace the clutch after a year and 18k miles or so, mostly due to being new at driving a stick and driving it hard when I fight got it, and I tend to drive rather aggressively.

There were also some issues with the transmission that I got fixed for free under warranty, also around this time, the details of which I forgot. I think a couple of gears or synchros were bad. Long time ago.

Otherwise in terms of major issues it's needed a new harmonic balancer and a replacement ECU, and that's about it. Obviously I've replaced standard maintenance replacement parts as needed, e.g. tires, filters, belts, hoses, fluids, pads, rotors, etc. I've "mostly" been good about that, but there were some lapses here and there. I've always put premium fuel in it, except for one time years ago when I lent it to my dad and he filled it with standard gas, and it knocked like crazy till I refilled with premium.

Here are the main things I need to do to get it running again:

• Unseize and rebuild front and rear brakes (currently working on, NE weather will do this to a car if it sits around for any time undriven)
  • Replace clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, release and pilot bearings
  • Fix issue where gear consistently pops out of 1st gear (hopefully won't require transmission rebuild)
  • Replace timing and balance belts, tensioners, idlers, water pump and possibly seals (standard maintenance)
  • Replace all three drive belts, and idlers/tensioners/seals as needed
  • Flush and replace all fluids: engine, transaxle, transfer case & rear diff oil, PS fluid, brake & clutch fluid (bleed both of course), and oil, air & fuel filters
  • Replace PCV valve (and possibly plugs & cables) & clean idle actuator & throttle body
  • Remove rust from suspension and body members (hopefully all surface) & treat with reformer & paint
  • Replace tires (dry rot's done its thing)

That should about do it. There are other comparatively minor fixes I need to get to, e.g. window jamming, speaker not working, door and hatch seal replacement, remove long unused alarm that's draining the battery (I pulled its fuse in the meantime), some dents, cracked paint, etc. But they can wait until I get the car running, insured, registered and inspected and back on the street.

I'm not a racer in any way, shape or form, nor even an "enthusiast". I'm just a guy who likes his Talon and wants to get it running and in decent shape again, and "maybe" someday add a few relatively low-key mods to get the power up a tad, but nothing too crazy. As you all know, it's a fun car and hard to part with, and I'd like to get a few more years out of it if possible.

As far as my mechanical knowledge and experience are concerned, I'm pretty new to it, and beyond an oil change and such didn't try doing anything serious on cars until a couple of years ago, when my dad gave me his old 2010 Kia Rio after giving up driving. It had a number of issues that would have cost way more than it was worth to get professionally fixed, so I decided to teach myself how to work on cars, and I've done a fair amount of work on it by now, and feel that I'm up to the challenge of restoring my Talon.

To give an idea of what I've done, on the Rio, my mom's '92 Camry, and now my Talon:

Rio:
  • Replaced front brake pads and rotors
  • Flushed & bled entire brake system
  • Replaced front wheel bearings & hubs
  • Replaced driver's side CV axle
  • Replaced outer tie rods
  • Replaced timing belt, idler & tensioner
  • Replace 3 drive belts
  • Replaced all 4 plugs
  • Replaced PCV & purge valves
  • Cleaned idle actuator & throttle body
  • Flushed & replaced coolant
  • Replaced engine oil & filter & air filter

Camry:
  • Replaced rear left brake hose
  • Replaced front right brake caliper
  • Replaced front brake pads & rotors
  • Replaced master cylinder
  • Flushed & bled entire system
  • Fixed broken tailpipe & patched muffler & catalytic converter flanges
  • Replaced broken driver's door handle & window regulator/motor
  • Replaced all 4 plugs
  • Replaced PCV valve
  • Replaced engine oil & filter & air filter
  • Flushed & replaced coolant

Talon:
  • Replaced hatch struts
  • Cleaning & rebuilding brake calipers
  • Derusting, reforming & painting suspension & body members

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Love the fact that you are an original owner and still have that car! Just stick with your list and you will have that car back to running in no time. We are all here for help if needed so stick around and ask the questions that you are unsure of, we can get that thing going again.
Marty

Thanks. I'm definitely going to have a bunch of questions, which I'll post in the appropriate forums and then only after searching past discussions to see if it's been answered before (but with this site having been around so long as so many posts, I might miss a few here and there so please don't shoot me if I ask an already answered question!). They'll mostly be about recommended parts, tools and techniques. My Talon and I go way back and I've been through a lot with it. I think I've driven it though over 40 states by now, plus BC (when I lived in Seattle).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back