The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Hey, I'm new here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0reyl

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 14, 2011
Falls Church, Virginia
Hi. I'm 19, and I'm about to get my license, but I already have two cars, LOL.

First car: 1997 buick riviera with a standard crappy GM 3.8 ltter crate engine. A 3800 series II.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It has over 200,000 miles on it, however runs like new, looks like new aside from scuffed up paint, and the controls on the right seat are detached somewhat. it was purchased years ago for $750 with a minor fendor bendor and I've ridden in it for at least 100,000 miles from growing up, going from air show to air show all over the east coast. I'm suprised this thing still runs like new LOL. This will be my daily driver until I can fix up the other car, then I will decide from there.

Second car: where the DSM part comes in.

That's my mom's old standard 1993 eclipse with a 1.8 liter crappy 95 horsepower engine FWD which sucks and needs a new motor and tranny.

My initial idea was to stick an evo X 4B11T motor in there, but then after some looking into it, I realized the 4G63 motor can push retarded amounts of power and they are cheap to start with.

Magnus Motorsports Engines and Internals

I never realized that you could get this much power out of a 2 liter engine before my mom actually gave me her old car.

My questions are, can that motor go in that model DSM easily? Is it a better idea to buy a pre tuned motor with stage 3 parts or rebuild a cheapo $1-2k motor i find anywhere?

How fast can i expect this car to go with some different price ranges (rough estimate, don't care on exacts)

Is it really even upgrading IN YOUR OPINION? I'll probably do it anyway seeing as I grew up in the car and it's sentimental to me.

I'm guessing you all hate bodykits, I'd like to make the car look unique somehow instead of like a crappy old car. My interest is a slightly bubbly, aerodynamic WIDE bodykit which will give this boxxy ass car some curves, I will rep paint the car and air brush any designs on it myself, i will NOT do decals, will NOT have neon lighting, might have cool lighting on the interior that is it. i will change out headlights, hopefully tailights if I can find something, probably put a new non trashy, actual classy looking spoiler on the back. i will probably take out the back seats and use it for trunkspace/sound system space or whatever else i need space. I will probably get a new hood without the odd looking hump on it. I may look for something as close to the henessey performance venom 700nm hood as I possibly can. it looks much like a mopar viper hood. (obviously i can't fit an 8.4L hood on a 2L car, I want the same style.) the front bumper will most likely need to change regardless for better airflow alone

This will be a long term project car and I will be learning from it. I am not trying to be a wannabe ghetto fast and furious kid. I just have an obsession with upgrading my posessions and it started with building, overclocking, and modding computers, went on to building and designing speakers and now I know it will happen with cars as well.

Basically, everyone will probably bash me, call me a retard for wanting to do bodywork and painting it, or upgrading it, but it's been with the family for about 15 years, and I wanted to do bodywork to make it somewhat like a wide body supra and viper venom 700nm mixed if that's even possible. The viper has been and always will be my favorite car. I love the fact Henessey performance just went out and made a venom 1000 twin turbo hold it's own to a Bughatti Veyron which costs 10 times more. Other favorite cars are Jaguar E-TYPE (my step grandfather owns one, it's badass) 3000gt, 1967 mustang mach 1, older corvettes, Nissan GTR and Skylines, the Supra, 96-99 Eclipse, others I'm not going to bother to type out.

Last edited:
You're better off buyin a turbo'd car to start with too much has to be changed from the 1.8. Just my 2 cents

He said he wanted this to be a long term project and upgrade and learn over time. What better way to learn by doing and engine swap/build? I think that is the best way. Get to know the parts by building the new engine/trans then get to know the car and its electrical by swapping. From the sounds of it he has rebuilt computers, so he probably knows his way around schematics pretty well. I say go for it, especially since most the cost of doing swaps and builds was cut by him getting the car, that saves him money for the build/swap.

+1 to much to swap over, just find a turbo one instead. Save youself a lot of time and money.

Wait, wait... I can't stuff a 2 liter engine with a new tranny in that car? An Eclipse GSX hood size is different than the 1.8L base model?

I need a new motor and tranny regardless, you guys are saying that a 2L engine would be hard to fit int hat vehicle?

He said he wanted this to be a long term project and upgrade and learn over time. What better way to learn by doing and engine swap/build? I think that is the best way. Get to know the parts by building the new engine/trans then get to know the car and its electrical by swapping. From the sounds of it he has rebuilt computers, so he probably knows his way around schematics pretty well. I say go for it, especially since most the cost of doing swaps and builds was cut by him getting the car, that saves him money for the build/swap.

That was pretty much my intent. I learn best literally by upgrading things. That's how I went from knowing nothing about computers to pretty much being a grade A computer technician now, by upgrading it. That's how i went knowing nothing about audio to knowing more than nearly anyone my age about it, but I'm definitely still learning there.

I am not naive going into this. I know there is nearly endless amounts of work involved to do this. Also, my step dad is a master mechanic. Anywhere I get stuck, chances are he can help me.

I came here more for DSM specific general advice so I wouldn't have to bother him too much at the moment. He is currently busy managing half a towing company and managing two apartment buildings at the same time as taking care of my injured mother.

Wait, wait... I can't stuff a 2 liter engine with a new tranny in that car? An Eclipse GSX hood size is different than the 1.8L base model?

Wait...what?? The everything is the same, in respect to the car and hood. The wiring harness is different, ecu, tranny, etc. Your gonna spend more money finding the 4G63T (running), tranny, drive shafts, exhaust, wiring, ecu. and everything else your going to need. You can find a decent 1G turbo'd for a reasonable price. But hey thats just my opionion. Its your money and time.

I need a new motor and tranny regardless, you guys are saying that a 2L engine would be hard to fit int hat vehicle?

You can, If memory serves me right the 1.8 and 2l are basicaly the same, mounted the same way and what not. maybe the mounts them selves are different, but getting it in there wouldnt be the biggest problem, it is the wiring that would be the turd. Manual trannys arent to hard to build either.

That was pretty much my intent. I learn best literally by upgrading things. That's how I went from knowing nothing about computers to pretty much being a grade A computer technician now, by upgrading it. That's how i went knowing nothing about audio to knowing more than nearly anyone my age about it, but I'm definitely still learning there.

I am not naive going into this. I know there is nearly endless amounts of work involved to do this. Also, my step dad is a master mechanic. Anywhere I get stuck, chances are he can help me.

I came here more for DSM specific general advice so I wouldn't have to bother him too much at the moment. He is currently busy managing half a towing company and managing two apartment buildings at the same time as taking care of my injured mother.

This is the best way to learn, that is how I did it in my Bronco, when I swapped in a fuelie 460 in place of the carb'd 351. Just remember schematics are your friend as well.

Or if you want a nice little project, find an awd shell and put it together.

I like the engine swap idea. Just not a fan of the "viper" transformation. If you hold some sentimental value to your moms 1g then do what you need to do. Other then that find a clean shell and make you a little beast.

its going to be very time consuming to do this... i mean you are talking about starting out with a turd of a car and building a beast. its definatly going to take time and money but if its not a car you have to have then id do it. My best advice is to find someone that is parting out their big horsepower car and just buy the engine, wireharness and all from them then all the engine work is done all you have to do is put the two together

I like the engine swap idea. Just not a fan of the "viper" transformation. If you hold some sentimental value to your moms 1g then do what you need to do. Other then that find a clean shell and make you a little beast.

Lol, I obviously realize I can't turn it into a viper, but I'd like to do some bodywork on it regardless.

sexiest car ever made. I was more going for just a similar style. I wouldn't get very close for sure most likely, end even then, I'd want the car to look unique in of itself, that being said, I'd like to mostly just get a hood inspired by my favorite car ever more than anything else off of it.

There's a better hood shot, but the coupe looks better for sure :D

Anyway, doing re wiring does not discourage me one bit, I was lead to believe for a minute that the 2L engine wouldn't even fit in there LOL.

I'm going to end up gutting this thing out almost completely. I realize this. I will probably even end up getting a new dashboard and fit a new interior myself if i can.

People may dislike my body editing idea, but rest assured, engine upgrades or not, I'd redo the body and interior. first thing is performance must be good, not best, but damn good, second will come looks. I will never resell the car, so losing value on a worth nothing car doesn't matter to me.Insurance will probably not go up, and this is a huge reason why I'm choosing to upgrade this car performance wise. I am not going to get a brand new sports car probably ever, and definitely not a powerful stock car until I'm 25 at least. My plan is to mess around rebuilding and tincker with this car until I'm at least 25, so I'm planning to continually upgrade this car for the next six years of my life at least.

In a nutshell, I'm going to upgrade it performance and body wise, internals, sound, everything, and never sell it.

its going to be very time consuming to do this... i mean you are talking about starting out with a turd of a car and building a beast. its definatly going to take time and money but if its not a car you have to have then id do it. My best advice is to find someone that is parting out their big horsepower car and just buy the engine, wireharness and all from them then all the engine work is done all you have to do is put the two together

You recommended something other than the 4G63 motor?

just leave the stock hood and body

Not up for debate :)

you may not like it, but my plan is to make this look like a completely unique car when done. If it runs and sounds unique, why not make it look unique? You are welcome to suggest kits you either like for the body, hoods, or any other part, but there is no point what so ever in trying to convince me out of modding the body :p

I'll leave the body at that, and I'm expecting many people to rage at me or at least tell me to keep stock body. People who really seem to know what they are doing always hate the idea of touching stock body parts on cars =/

BTW, easy for you to say, you have a 97 eclipse which looks damn sexy stock whereas the 93 looked far from damn sexy :p

I'm 19 years old and I don't like the body kit look the only way I would put one on is if it was actually functional and didn't add weight.

Because regardless, a better front bumper is pretty much required anyway for better airflow IMO. The front bumper on my 1G has poo airlfow anyway, just look it.

I was really starting to get into case modding as I built my PC's. I will go at rebuilding a car with the same mentality as I go with building a PC. If there is something I don't like, I modify.

How are body kits any different from case modding?

I would settle for the vader bodykit if I had to, I might end up doing something completely different but I have a lot of time to decide on that. My primary focus is in the hood anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because regardless, a better front bumper is pretty much required anyway for better airflow IMO. The front bumper on my 1G has poo airlfow anyway, just look it.

I was really starting to get into case modding as I built my PC's. I will go at rebuilding a car with the same mentality as I go with building a PC. If there is something I don't like, I modify.

How are body kits any different from case modding?

I would settle for the vader bodykit if I had to, I might end up doing something completely different but I have a lot of time to decide on that. My primary focus is in the hood anyway.

How do you know the airflow sucks? If it sucked so bad why would some of the fastest 1g's on here still be running with the basically stock front bumpers and not some cheapass ebay front bumper? There's a reason all the people who "know what they're doing" don't change body panels. For one, the junk you buy on ebay does 3 things- adds weight, destroys the body lines of the car, which also ####s up the airflow, and makes you look like an idiot.

Swapping the 4g in is more than just "putting" it in, like everyone's said. Just because the engine and hood are the same as a 4g car doesn't mean that everything else is the same. Honestly I'd love to see you actually complete this, however, just like every other highstrung teenage that comes on here wanting to build the "supercoolestfastestunbeatable dsm ever" it probably won't happen.

Sounds like RICE if you ask me.

How do you know the airflow sucks? If it sucked so bad why would some of the fastest 1g's on here still be running with the basically stock front bumpers and not some cheapass ebay front bumper? There's a reason all the people who "know what they're doing" don't change body panels. For one, the junk you buy on ebay does 3 things- adds weight, destroys the body lines of the car, which also ####s up the airflow, and makes you look like an idiot.

Swapping the 4g in is more than just "putting" it in, like everyone's said. Just because the engine and hood are the same as a 4g car doesn't mean that everything else is the same. Honestly I'd love to see you actually complete this, however, just like every other highstrung teenage that comes on here wanting to build the "supercoolestfastestunbeatable dsm ever" it probably won't happen.

I was assuming from physics...with a good amount of material blocking the intercooler, how can it have as good airflow as other bumpers like:

Compared to my stock 93 DSM which you can see the bumper in the picture i gave as well as:

Speed or not, will better airflow happen with the other bumpers compared to the stock, yes or no?

I am not advocating for the looks of a single bumper I linked, they are all tailored to the 93 DSM eclipse. I linked them because of airflow reasons or so I think. This will enable me to learn about whether or not airflow will improve as well as aerodynamics, ignoring looks of the car.

Sounds like RICE if you ask me.

Meh, I'm not even crazy about the vader bumper. I like the combat bumper more, after looking into body options more than 20 seconds... but then again, I'm not even crazy for any of the bumpers I linked. In my mind, A: a few definitely look better than stock, and B: it SEEMS, I said SEEMS to me...that better airlfow would help...based on:

Wikipedia said:
also, the Evolution VI received new bodywork yet again, with the most easily spotted change in the front bumper where the huge fog lights were reduced in size and moved to the corners for better airflow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancer_evo

The Lancer EVO VI used a 4G63 motor, did it not?

If

Going to:

Helps airflow, according to professional Mitsubishi motor engineers, it makes sense to me the bumpers I linked would improve airflow, maybe I'm a retard though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Put those cheap bumpers in a wind tunnel to show aero? How much do they weigh? U kno a good drop is also helpful.

Put those cheap bumpers in a wind tunnel to show aero? How much do they weigh? U kno a good drop is also helpful.

I have no Idea on the aero, weight, durability vs the stock bumper, I was hoping others would fill me in on that which would know off hand, being experienced on these matters.

Then again, aparently I'm just some R.I.C.E.R wannabe kid to you guys.

No1 said you were a ricer, I just said vader, blitz and all those named kits are ricey. I came from the Honda world to DSM and I hated the ricers with these kits they're very cheap. Keep it stock DSMs need very little to look nice. Trying to make your car look like another is ricey.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back