The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hey guys I'm shannnon ... I recently bought a 96 eclipse with 83k original miles and need insight

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buggman69

Probationary Member
Jun 26, 2019
Vardaman, Mississippi
I got car and it ran but missed. Has new crank sensor and ignition coil. New plugs and wires. It's still missing on 2 and 3 cylinder and now dies immediately after cranking. Any ideas or suggestions?

check the compression.

Tha
What DTCs?
Still using the stock 96 Cam sensor?
The new coil has been checked with an ohmmeter?
Continuity check of the B coil's harness connection to ECU pin 23?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Thanks this should be helpful. Everything is stock on car. Bought it for a work commute vehicle and got a good deal on it for mileage. It just sit up for a while

Tha

Thanks this should be helpful. Everything is stock on car. Bought it for a work commute vehicle and got a good deal on it for mileage. It just sit up for a while
The crank sensor has been replaced as well and plugs and wires. I read on another forum that the CAS sensor can cause cylinders 2 and 3 to not fire. Do not know anything about Mitsubishi cars so I'm grateful for any insight or knowledge that u are willing to share

The cam sensor and crank sensor signals are both needed for the ECU to fire the injectors and the coils.

The 1G cars didn't have a separate crank sensor, and the 1G cam sensor sent 2 sets of signals because of that fact. The rumor used to be that Mitsu wanted to bypass warranty repairs resulting from timing belt slip/failure, so they made the 2G ECU check alignment between the crank and cam so that the engine stops running if the 2 sensors don't line up right. Not sure that actually worked out too well.

If you look at the reluctor wheel of a 1G CAS, you'll see 2 sets of holes:

The outer holes trigger the coils to fire, the inner holes align the injector pulse.

On a 2G, if you remove the CAS from the engine but keep it plugged into the harness and spin the cam sensor with the engine off but power on, you can hear the injectors clicking. The crank sensor on the 2G cars triggers the coils for the spark.

If you know for sure you're only missing on cylinders 2 and 3, I'd start investigating ignition since those cylinders share the same ignition coil.

The cam sensor and crank sensor signals are both needed for the ECU to fire the injectors and the coils.

The 1G cars didn't have a separate crank sensor, and the 1G cam sensor sent 2 sets of signals because of that fact. The rumor used to be that Mitsu wanted to bypass warranty repairs resulting from timing belt slip/failure, so they made the 2G ECU check alignment between the crank and cam so that the engine stops running if the 2 sensors don't line up right. Not sure that actually worked out too well.

If you look at the reluctor wheel of a 1G CAS, you'll see 2 sets of holes:

The outer holes trigger the coils to fire, the inner holes align the injector pulse.

On a 2G, if you remove the CAS from the engine but keep it plugged into the harness and spin the cam sensor with the engine off but power on, you can hear the injectors clicking. The crank sensor on the 2G cars triggers the coils for the spark.

If you know for sure you're only missing on cylinders 2 and 3, I'd start investigating ignition since those cylinders share the same ignition coil.
It is definitely cylinders 2and 3. 2 middle cylinders. 2 outer plugs have burned exhaust residue on them... 2 middle look brand new but have fuel. I appreciate all of your input on my situation. Very helpful. The car is a good looking ride and low mileage for year model. Really would love to get it going.

That looks a neat one. Good luck getting her in great condition.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back