The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Hey EXPERTS -- TIMING

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$lacker

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 2, 2003
Nova_ScotiaCanada
I assume my ignition timing is the problem

I did a head swap on a 93 NT 5spd. All the timing marks line up - The marks on the cam gears are together, the dowels point up, and the crank pulley's mark points at the "T" on the Tbelt cover
Compression is fine, but the car won't run
Try turn it over, and it'll start... but it sputters, stutters and dies
When you try to keep the revs up, it'll hesitate, the rev to ~5k, then drop again. You can't keep any constant rpm
The exhaust wreaks of unburnt gas

Sounds like my ignition timing is too far advanced or retarded...?

Since the car won't idle, am I able to fix the ignition timing myself by adjusting the CAS in between tries with the timing plug grounded?

Any other input/ideas/suggestions?

make sure the CAS is installed correctly first... no need to bother grounding yet, get it adjusted so it will idle first THEN ground it and set it to 5* BTDC

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back