The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hey All!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chewy4g63

Proven Member
Sep 8, 2021
Lakeside, Arizona
Hello, I'm a new member, I just picked up my 2G RS not long ago, and I have a big plan with it. If you cant tell it's a little rough but over the next year, I'm going to revive it.

Here's the specs on my RS
No sunroof
Power everything
Air conditioning
Power antenna and spoiler
Auto trans 🤢
420a

Currently needs an ECU to run. But I'm bypassing that and just doing a manual swap with a different engine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What engine do you plan on putting into it?

No sunroof. Insert throw up emoticon here<>.

Welcome to the forum.

I personally would go with the evo 4g. Miguel dsm on utube has a sweet build on his n/t chassis. But to each there own, do your own thing if it makes u happy.

No sunroof. Insert throw up emoticon here<>.

Welcome to the forum.

I personally would go with the evo 4g. Miguel dsm on utube has a sweet build on his n/t chassis. But to each there own, do your own thing if it makes u happy.
It crossed my mind several times, or like the hyundai g4js swap for dohc 4g as well. But then it hit me, if the 4g swap is bolt in, I wonder how bolt in the 6G72 from the GT would be. It's going to be a show car, so pop the hood wow factor has to be there, you know? Sometimes you pop the hood and people are like "Oh, a 4g turbo eclipse, cool, and move on." I want to be the guy that everyone says "DUDE DID YOU SEE THAT V6 2ND GEN".

Ambitious; I like it. Take enough "before" photos, so that the "wow" factor is all the more meaningful. I've made progress on my car, and now wish I had documented it better at the outset. The seller told me "everything works".... REALY!?!?
Currently your Bondo needs more Bondo, so if it's a show car you'll end up with, folks will want to know what you started with. Like a block of marble waiting for the sculpture to reveal itslef.
Welcome and good luck.

Ambitious; I like it. Take enough "before" photos, so that the "wow" factor is all the more meaningful. I've made progress on my car, and now wish I had documented it better at the outset. The seller told me "everything works".... REALY!?!?
Currently your Bondo needs more Bondo, so if it's a show car you'll end up with, folks will want to know what you started with. Like a block of marble waiting for the sculpture to reveal itslef.
Welcome and good luck.
I plan on documenting everything. Just swapped wheels, gonna toss it in the build thread when I'm done LOL

Nothing about what you've stated is bolt in. This is a heavy fabrication job.
That's all I've heard, but the 4g64 with 3g trans bolts in, 3/4 mounts even, mounts in the Gt 6G72 are in the same place. I'm sure it's not that different. Remember I don't have a GST or anything, and I'm not using a stealth/3kgt engine, so it will be oriented properly. I will be happy to show you that you are incorrect when the time comes.

I'm not saying it isn't doable. I'm saying it isn't a bolt in. And you will need custom harmess. Axles etc.

I'm not saying it isn't doable. I'm saying it isn't a bolt in. And you will need custom harmess. Axles etc.
I'm going standalone. Custom harness is implied. The 3g axles work in the 4g64 swap, and I'm sure they didn't change the hub size on the gt, or else there would be loads of threads about improper hubs and axles. Worst case, I can splice two (420a and 6g72) axles together to make them work.

I've done a fair amount of research on the swap. Some guy did a 6g73 swap in a 2g (The only completed 6g7x in a 2g proven) from a Dodge Avenger, he said it dropped in like it was made to go there. But he had an auto chassis and did an auto swap.

Again personally I'd go with the evo 4g. Ya its probably overdone I get it. For me tho it'd be the closest thing to owning an evo I may get for a while, im pretty poor.

But its your car. Do whatever makes u happy, and ill support it.

Again personally I'd go with the evo 4g. Ya its probably overdone I get it. For me tho it'd be the closest thing to owning an evo I may get for a while, im pretty poor.

But its your car. Do whatever makes u happy, and ill support it.
It would definitely be the easy way but I feel like this swap is going to be more bolt in than people realise. Comparing mounts, using 3g mounts will move the engine forward around 6 inches, which gives room for headers and intake plenum. I want to do the swap and write up to prove it's not as hard as everyone make it out to be, and then the 6g75 3.8 mivec is bolt in as a swap on the 3g chassis. Meaning this would give people a good option for 300whp from an na v6 from the mivec 3.8, or boost the 3.0 v6 for even more. Plus the wow factor at a show is important for a lackluster show build like mine.

Welcome! I am interested in learning more about this from purely a curiosity standpoint. I'm trying to restore my 420A, but I think its awesome people swap in different engines.

We basically have the same car btw, minus the power antenna. Best of luck with it, and enjoy the journey!

Welcome! I am interested in learning more about this from purely a curiosity standpoint. I'm trying to restore my 420A, but I think its awesome people swap in different engines.

We basically have the same car btw, minus the power antenna. Best of luck with it, and enjoy the journey!
Hey you're also from Arizona! Got any leads on interior pieces? Lol

Hey you're also from Arizona! Got any leads on interior pieces? Lol

Haha, no, just my car is from Arizona. I am from Michigan, and had it shipped up here. 😀

As for parts, I've found some great stuff in the classifieds on this site. 👍

It would definitely be the easy way but I feel like this swap is going to be more bolt in than people realise. Comparing mounts, using 3g mounts will move the engine forward around 6 inches, which gives room for headers and intake plenum. I want to do the swap and write up to prove it's not as hard as everyone make it out to be, and then the 6g75 3.8 mivec is bolt in as a swap on the 3g chassis. Meaning this would give people a good option for 300whp from an na v6 from the mivec 3.8, or boost the 3.0 v6 for even more. Plus the wow factor at a show is important for a lackluster show build like mine.
I plus one this as I recently have found that video too and tbh, I absolutely love the 6G platforms because people don't realize what those V6's are capable of!! Especially since the blocks and rotating assemblies between the 3000GT and 3G V6's are indeed THE EXACT SAME (heads are different with of course the 180 degree flip of the DOHC & SOHC) which means that you can use the same internals for the 3G that come from the 3000GT catalog so places like 3SX.com and Pampena Motorsports would also work for those kinds of parts. :thumb: Only if you truly wanted to get a better forged setup going or just wanted to get a set of replacement stuff too cuz they both carry that kind of stuff for those V6 blocks.

I also own a 3G as I recently bought it two weeks ago as I been trying to find one for a good deal for the last 5 years or so and finally snagged one with the 2 bolt SOHC 6G72 & manual trans and now that I have seen this, I can actually put a 6G into my currently-knocking 420A which is super awesome because if the 3.0L & 2.5L fit snug and are just as plug and play with the 420A model 2G, then I can just go ahead and go to the junkyard and pick up a cheap SOHC Diamante 6G74 (97-04 model works best with the 3G style SOHC plug n play swaps for those guys over there) instead of trying to source a replacement 420A because I could get the instant 50-70 crank hp bump which is even better!!

(Tiburon GT trans are also able to bolt up to the SOHC 3.0L, 3.5L & 3.8L MIVEC nicely as the 5 speed F5M51 is also interchangeable so you can go either 5 or 6 speed if you choose but its all on whether you want the extra gears or not which I found neat but completely unrelated here LOL

Please keep us updated on what's needed an what-not because when we can get all the little details sorted out for it, I think I wouldn't mind coming around to doing this too as I would not mind owning 2 6G7X powered cars instead of one. I can't do anything util I save so when spring comes, I too will have a chunk of change I can finally throw at this car and get it running with something a bit more familiar for my tastes! :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back