The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Hesitation at low RPM & when driving up hill

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeLord410

Probationary Member
May 25, 2011
Acampo, California
Hey folks,

I'm new to the forum & to the world of DSM. I bought my 1995 FWD Talon TSI back in April of last year. Last friday on the way to work I was driving up hill & really got on the gas. After a few minutes I noticed that I was losing power & my Heat gauge was nearing overheat status. I pulled off the road & let the car cool down for about 10 minutes before getting back on the road.

Since that occurred I now get a stuttering hesitation as the car accelerates from a stop, up until I hit about 2800 rpms. I also feel a slight hiccup while using the cruise control traveling up hill. I've also noticed that the rpms are slightly higher at speed than they used to be. For example, normally I'd be at about 2700 rpms at 65mph, and now it hovers around 3k.

I hadn't had the transmission flushed after purchasing the car so last weekend I had that done at a Pep Boy's (Including the filter). The stuttering isn't as pronounced as it was, but it is still there and noticeable. Also every once and a while during acceleration from a stop I'll hear a popping sound during the stuttering.

What am I looking at here for repairs guys?

Thanks for your help!

Hey folks,

I'm new to the forum & to the world of DSM. I bought my 1995 FWD Talon TSI back in April of last year. Last friday on the way to work I was driving up hill & really got on the gas. After a few minutes I noticed that I was losing power & my Heat gauge was nearing overheat status. I pulled off the road & let the car cool down for about 10 minutes before getting back on the road.

Since that occurred I now get a stuttering hesitation as the car accelerates from a stop, up until I hit about 2800 rpms. I also feel a slight hiccup while using the cruise control traveling up hill. I've also noticed that the rpms are slightly higher at speed than they used to be. For example, normally I'd be at about 2700 rpms at 65mph, and now it hovers around 3k.

I hadn't had the transmission flushed after purchasing the car so last weekend I had that done at a Pep Boy's (Including the filter). The stuttering isn't as pronounced as it was, but it is still there and noticeable. Also every once and a while during acceleration from a stop I'll hear a popping sound during the stuttering.

What am I looking at here for repairs guys?

Thanks for your help!

For your overheat problem, flush the cooling system and make sure to bleed it(Meaning getting out any air from the system out) look on youtube to do it the right way. The hesitation could be turbo lag, Do you have a fmic? or possibly a boost leak. depending on your set-up

For your overheat problem, flush the cooling system and make sure to bleed it(Meaning getting out any air from the system out) look on youtube to do it the right way. The hesitation could be turbo lag, Do you have a fmic? or possibly a boost leak. depending on your set-up

About a month ago I blew the cooling jacket out on one of my cylinders & had to replace the head. At that time all of the cooling hoses were replaced & the cooling system was flushed, so I'm not sure if doing that again will help. Also like I mentioned I get this popping sound from under the car sometimes when I'm accelerating & I can feel it in the gas pedal. I'm wondering if I managed to burn up something in the transmission as there was a smell when the issue first occurred.

For the overheating issue: I recently had a similar issue when I replaced my headgasket. After exhausting all my knowledge I took it to a local shop and the mechanic walked out to my car with a hand held temp gun and measured the radiator at the inlet and outlet hoses. The temps were so far off from each other that it was unsafe. There was no flow across the bottom section at all. Replaced the radiator that day and no problems since.

For the overheating issue: I recently had a similar issue when I replaced my headgasket. After exhausting all my knowledge I took it to a local shop and the mechanic walked out to my car with a hand held temp gun and measured the radiator at the inlet and outlet hoses. The temps were so far off from each other that it was unsafe. There was no flow across the bottom section at all. Replaced the radiator that day and no problems since.

Ok, first off thanks everyone for pointing me towards the cooling system. Last night I flushed it & replaced the coolant & the stuttering hesitation stopped. Also the RPMs appear to have returned to normal when at cruising speed.

There is however some bad news... Additional symptoms have cropped up.

It seems the tranny is shifting late (@ about 4k RPM). And the shifts are very hard. Especially when decelerating... The down shift into 2nd gear nearly rattles the teeth outta my head. For the time being I'm compensating by shifting to neutral for deceleration, but I'd love some additional insight into the new symptoms.

Alright... Hopefully this will be my final post for this thread.

Last night I started getting stuttering when at speed. At this point I'd been driving around with the afore mentioned cooling system issue, without having flushed the tranny fluid again.

So, this morning I did a tranny fluid exchange & topped it off with the Lucas Oil, ATF conditioner, & an engine oil change (Was due for one of those anyhow) and apparently :hellyeah: voila! The problem seems to have subsided. I'm tentatively optimistic :pray: that the issue has been addressed.

I'll post back again in about a week if anything else pops up.

Again, thanks to all who submitted I really appreciate it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back