The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

heres my shot at crankwalk fix...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac83

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2002
Yelm, Washington
Just though I would take a shot at a fix for the dreaded crank walk.

clutch pressure is a quite obvious cause of crank walk (proven in MANY performance engines... IE: fords windsor block with a heavy duty performance clutch)

Here is how I think one can combat crank walk when rebuilding an engine. Form a hydrostatic wedge on the thrust surface of the bearing. This is acomplised by drilling a hole though the side of the top main girdle and making a matching hole in the actual bearing. a gouge will then be placed along the thurst surface of the bearing. This will be done on the side facing the flywheel. This will allow a hydrostatic wedge to be formed between the crank thrust race and the main thrust bearing. This wedge will push oppositely of the force that the clutch fork creates. This is a trick that has proven itsself in use with dirt track and many other performance motors. Here is a chicken scratch illustration of what i purpose.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Dont know if anyone has had this idea yet, I was just talking with my machnist and this is what he plans on doing for my 90 block.

Any constructive criticism is welcome.

this 90 block was a walk victim anyway... I guess it was one of the 'likely' ones :)

erm... you're proposing that _less_ bearing area will yield longer bearing life?

Hydrostatic wedges are developed in _rolling_ bearings, where there's a round bearing supporting a round journal. Thrust bearings don't have the characteristics to form a wedge: they're working to sling out whatever oil's in them to start with.

Back to the drawing board, young Edison.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back