The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

helpp rebuilt trans stuck in 3rd still!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91dsmeclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
i have a 91 mitsubishi eclipse auto non turbo and i just recently 2 days ago had the transmission rebuilt.I put it in and it is still stuck in third gear. i want to know how u check the tcu codes where the tcu is located and also i heard that maybe the vehicle speed sensor might be fualty and i will like to know where it is located on my trans and if someone can tell me how to test it. i just spent 2 grand on this car its so fustrating i just dont have the heart to sell. can someone help me please thanx

Originally posted by 91dsmeclipse
i have a 91 mitsubishi eclipse auto non turbo and i just recently 2 days ago had the transmission rebuilt.I put it in and it is still stuck in third gear. i want to know how u check the tcu codes where the tcu is located and also i heard that maybe the vehicle speed sensor might be fualty and i will like to know where it is located on my trans and if someone can tell me how to test it. i just spent 2 grand on this car its so fustrating i just dont have the heart to sell. can someone help me please thanx

Have you spoken to the shop that rebuilt it? Will they help you?

The first thing that you should do is check for TCU codes, it sounds like it is in limp mode for whatever reason.

Charles has some info on pulling codes here http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tcucodes.htm I would recommend that you try this if you don't have access to a scanner.

-John

i didt have a shop rebuild it my gf father works and f&b performance transmissions and he rebuilt it at his house.

i was driving the car for about 2 months with it in limp u thinkk it might of burnt the tcu out.I was thinking of taking it out and smelling it if it is burnt.

i just took the tcu out of the car and took the cover off and i found the pc board is burnt and there is this round thing kinda looks like a battery it says 47 f 50v4 and a name. its all burnt underneath it and looks like its leaking stuff. Is this the problem becuz i never took one apart before but looks like the problem to me. thanx transdude

Could be your problem. What codes did it have?

-John

i didt pull any codes i wanted to check the board out first but i dont think i need to go any farther i gave the tcu to my gf father and he sayed its burnt and i should replace it does anyone know where i can get one cheap the cheapest i got so far is 150 shipped buts i gots no money LOL this sucks

i got the new tcu and nope it did not work is still the same and i checked for codes and there are none do u have any ideas what it might be its really pissing me off. may it be a wire disconnected or something. is there a way to test the shift selonoids without taking the tranny out any testing will be greatly appreciated

Take the car to the local mitsu dealer and have them test the trans sensors mine were fried cauing me to be in limp, which in turn fried my trans so I converted :thumb:

how much did it cost you?? did u check the trans codes yourself and not have any codes or did u just take it their? and also what sensor was bad? thanx

Long story short i had an engine wiring meltdown, 3 years later I replaced the wiring harness, all sensors throughout the motor, but forgot about the trans, after about 400 miles in limp the trans smoked, all my sensors were fried on it, when I went to the dealer, to have a used trans installed that I bought off the trader, which turned out to be rusted out :barf: I thn decided to converto from auto to manual. good luck, i dunno how they tested the sensors

Rebuilt trans 200 miles before wiring meltdown $800
Used trans off Trader $465
Bill from the dealer for teardown of both trannies and uninstall of 1 $500
Parts car with all the stuff to convert to manual $200
Engine Wiring harness $100
You get the point cars aint cheap and dont trust the trader

thats alot. I would convert my car to manual but cars arnt cheap ive been looking for about 9 months for a parts car never found one and im still looking.if i was able to find how to test these sensors on the trans i would so happy.Im going to the library tomarrow hopefully they have a km175 book. ive put so much mony into this car its crazy to give up now

Did the trans ever work? Did it ever shift, or has it been in limp since it was put in?

It could be the the trans in plugged into the vehicle harness wrong.

If your girlfriend's father works at FB, can't he help you fix it?

-John

the trans worked when i first bought the car. it died like 2 months after i bought it and i had no money so i drove the car in limp for 2 months. how do i check to see if the connectors are connnected right? and do you know a way to check the sensors? becuz i heard of something that if i disconnect the shift selonoids connector and take a wire split it and stick it in each individual wire to the selonoids the car will shift without the computer have u heard of something like that before??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back