The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Help! Want more horsepower.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylee

Probationary Member
Nov 25, 2018
Puerto Rico, Central_America
I rebuild my 4g63t, all internals 1gRods, GSC Race balance shaft, Evo8 valve , springs & retainers, and port valves... i want to change to a 16G but i want to increase a little bit my HP what i need to do? what i need to change or do first?. Someone plz help me. Its for autocross but i like to push the accelerator ‍♀️

You can swap to a 16g but you likely will hit boost cut since it flows more unless you lower the boost a bit to about 10psi as a guess. You might be safe at 12psi but its car dependant.

A new intercooler is ideal for this to happen properly or find a good smic (side mount intercooler) thats not factory 2G.
As above all the fittings and parts to go along with making it as bolt on as possible will help and you can add lots more too if you wsnt to get real involved just depends on how well you want to do it and the car to be built vs banging it together and being unreliable etc

My first recommendation is some form of a tuning solution. Idk what access is like in Puerto Rico for something like ECMlink, but that or a black box flashable ECU would be my first step.

Then you can start adding bolt ons and using your tuning solution to optimize those modifications, making your car faster. Its a process and you have to be patient with it. Slapping parts on is fun, but you have to be able to use them effectively for it to work well.

A 16g, good exhaust, supporting fuel mods and good tune can make your car a very fun and quick autocrosser. But make a plan and stick to it.

My first modification on all the ones I own is always ECM Link and that would be my suggestion for you as well. This way you can grow in stages rather than just needing to stockpile it all and throw it all on at once (which would include a tuning solution such as Link anyway).

To run a 16G safely and uninhibited, you would need:

- 16G
- J Pipe
- ECM Link
- 550CC+ Injectors
- Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC)
- Walbro 190 or 255, Preferably Rewired
- Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator (AFPR)
- Boost Controller
- Goof Flowing Exhaust
- Ported O2 Housing
- Colder Spark Plugs

Before any of that you need to make sure ALL maintenance is up to date, no normal repairs needed. I would probably also suggest some suspension upgrades, Eibach springs with Tokico "white" shocks.

I recommend going with a small 16g for autocross someone is selling a rebuilt one in classifieds (try to source as much as possible through classifieds, you'll save a bunch). Small fmic with j pipe, bigger exhaust turbo back (no cat) but make sure you have a wideband first before anything. Also throw an evo X or wally 190 rewired fuel pump in there.
Gonna need bigger injectors and a way to tune (you can even get away with an old school safc up to 650cc injectors) if you want to have fun. Even with stock injectors you can boost around 13-16psi and have fun but you'll want more out of a 16g.

I'm new to the dsm world but I will throw in my 3 cents worth. First is just run the engine for a while as it is and make sure it is strong and healthy. Next I would say do an ecm flashable ecu and get a base tune. From there you can start upgrading the turbo set up. I wan't to run a 16g, but for autocross the t25 spools up really fast. Alot can be done with just a walhbro fuel pump, injectors, arp head studs, head gasket, and a tune.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back