The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Help With System Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaserChick2003

Probationary Member
Mar 11, 2003
PennsylvaniaUS
Hey guys. I just have a quick question for someone. I'm a beginner and I'm attempting to install my system myself. Everything is going okay except I'm to the point where I'm running my wire from the battery to the amp and I need a little help. Yeah, I know I know, ALWAYS run from the battery. I got that part but my question is, where do I run that wire to? From the battery to the interior of the car, yes, but where do I feed the wire/drill holes to put the wire through to the inside? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks guys!

Well, most of the time, there is a rubber grommet (little rubber stopper thing with holes in it) pre-exisiting in the firewall already, many a time with some wires already coming through it. Get down and look underneath your dash, on both sides, and look up high underneath your dash and feel around, there's a good chance that there already is a rubber grommet there, and youll have to stick the power cord through that, it may take some elbow grease, but from experience, i feel that is the hardest part of installing a system, especially if you dont have a lot of room in the engine bay.

I can't speak specifically for dsm's though, cuz I dont have one yet!

Also, try to keep the ground cable under 3 feet, and make sure you ground it to a bolt that is connecting with the entire car, and sand the surface if need be to expose bare metal.

By the way, where from PA are you from, I live in Erie, and I plan on buying a 1g dsm by august.

But who knows, I change my mind on the type of car I want every week!

1g talon > tacoma > 4 runner > grand cherokee > cherokee > 2g talon > 1g talon

Run it thruogh your grommet......
by the way when you ground it sand the body of the car where you are going to ground it and screw it directly to the body ....right next to your amp....tahts the best...adn for future reference...have a shop do it so you dont hook something up wrong and void a warranty

These guys are on the right track!
I just want to add something: When running your wire, make sure you have a fuse holder within 3 feet of your battery. If anything has to happen to your battery, instead of destroying your amp, it will cost you a 50cent fuse! what a bargain!!! find that gromet, run your wire to the back. Try to run it as clean as possible, since you're problably going to run it at the bottom of your door trim, you don't want water and stuff attacking your wire. If you can try to run it under your central console.

Avoid having the RCA interconnect next to your + wire!!! Even if it's a shielded one, you want to avoid any electromagnetic interference between your 12V and your sound signal!!! I know it's shitty to run 2 wires at 2 different places, and it takes more time, but then again you'll thank me for not having any constant buzzing sound in your sub...

If you do have a buzzing sound, make sure your ground connection is directly bolted on metal and that the surface is A-OK clean!!!

I hope you're using a full install kit from a specialized company...

like 97GS-T Spyder mentioned, have it done by a shop next time: for your waranty

L8ER! :dsm:

Originally posted by monkey_eclipse
When running your wire, make sure you have a fuse holder within 3 feet of your battery. If anything has to happen to your battery, instead of destroying your amp, it will cost you a 50cent fuse! /B]
The fuse should be as close to the battery as practical. It's not to protect your amp but to protect the car's electrical system if the power feed was to short to ground. Ideally you want the fuse to be on the wire close enough so that if it were to fall off the wire from the battery wouldn't be long enough to touch anything.

On 1g's the main firewall feedthru winds up being behind the heater blower motor inside the car and difficult to reach, so people either drill and gromet a new hole, use the steering boot, or torture their hands and spend the time fishing the wire through. It helps to start with a 16 ga wire fron the engine compartment and reach up behind the blower then use it to pull the larger cable.

Steve

FUSE IS IMPORTANT!!

I know a kid that burned a big black streak all the way from the front of his car to the back cuz he didnt have a fuse.. wasnt his fault though, the place that installed it paid for it.

Oh well, it was only a neon anyway.

LOL....go to your local shop and get the type that looks like a little sylincer sidewayz....adn a cylinder fuse goes in it....and the ends screw on to the middle piece that you screw down...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back