The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Help With Sparco Steering Wheel Installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnoopySLR

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2002
Highland, Michigan
I just got a Sparco Steering Wheel. I was wondering how to disarm my airbag. I don't want to start taking the stock wheel of and "BOOM". That would suck...

But do I have to unhook any wires? I don't want to cut a wire and have it go off. Do I have to disarm the airbag or can I just take it off?

Im not sure how to answer your question but you do know that removing your airbag is illegal right?

Yes, I know its illegal. Every single person on this site has "illegal" things on their car. And yes I have the hub.

i don't understand why they are illegal to remove. why don't they just take every car without them and make it illegal for them to drive unless they install a air bag...

if you can't find out how, just stand back and let that bish go BOOM. if anything it will be something neat to see... :confused:

cant u like take out a fuse on it or something

I haven't even looked at it yet. I have like 5 projects going at once right now. I didn't want to start another yet.

i wonder if it shows in the repair manual how to do it?

also i searched and found this in a forum

Re: Steering Wheel w/Airbag Removal[900/93] posted by Steve Seekins on
Wednesday, 4 November 1998, at 8:13 a.m.

The SRS system is designed with a capacitor that is capable of firing the air bag even if the connection to the battery is lost. However, the capacitor is designed so that it will not hold a charge for a long time - only long enough to last during a collision - say a few seconds. Once the battery is disconnected, I believe you should wait about 30 seconds or so to make sure the capacitor has discharged. However, due to the explosive components, I would certainly check the official factory manual for the proper procedures before tackling this one. It is not worth the safety risk to work on it without the correct procedures, nor is it worth wasting the $$$ air bag assembly with a simple mistake. --
Steve Seekins

I wish I had a manual. Maybe I should get one off ebay. I know how to take steering wheels off, just not airbags. Anybody on this site have a sparco or momo wheel?

its not that complicated guys

1. undo negative battery terminal
2. wait 15-25 minutes just to be safe
3. take the four bolts off the airbag and undo the wiring harness

done

THANK YOU! Thats what I was told by this one guy. He doesn't know much about cars and I thought I would wait to find out from someone else. Thanks again fauchpj.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back