The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Help with shift and pressure solenoid diagnosis

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beegeezy

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2010
Round Rock, Texas
So after wiring up my Forced Four Smart 100.1 shift box and doing a test run, I still only have P, N, R, and 3rd gear. I used my multimeter to check the resistance of the pressure control solenoid valve and the A/B shift solenoids at the plug on the transmission. I show ~28 ohms for the shift solenoids and ~6 ohms for the pressure control valve solenoid. According to the FSM these are both outside of specs.

I applied 12 volts to the PCSV and the shift solenoids and I don't hear any noises. The previous owner said he removed the valve body and cleaned it in hopes of solving the defective TCU issues he was having. I've read that the solenoids rarely go bad. What should I be looking for when I drop the pan and valve body?

Attachments

• W4A33 troubleshooting solenoids flowchart.jpg
    W4A33 troubleshooting solenoids flowchart.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Examine the wires of the shift solenoid. I had to swap my shift solenoid harness out inside the valve body because the wires were damaged. Solved my shifting issue. I also run a FF shiftbox.

Thanks, I got the valve body out last night and checked the resistance again. I'm still getting the same readings at the plug but the solenoids do click when I give them 12v. I'll check the resistance again at the solenoids themselves to narrow down my problem.

After a duh moment (I realized how off my multimeter was due to some bad test probes), I found out my solenoids were in spec and fine. Too bad I already tore up one of the filters on a shift solenoid while trying to pry it off. Oh well, I got a new set online for ~ $60.

I dug into my valve body to find my separator plates have some damage from the steel check balls. I'm going to install the translab shift kit on new separator plates and port the valve body pump input area as shown on Kiggy's website. No idea currently why it wasn't shifting, other than possibly the damage to the separator plates.

BTW, I think I found a source for the small separator plate from a Hyundai part number. But I'll wait to report that until after I verify.

Attachments

• IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 139
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back