The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help with MAFT setup!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganja Man

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2003
ok guys im hooking up everything for the maft blow through setup nad have a few questions. theres 2 hoses comeing form the stock intake, one goes to the side of valve cover and the other im not sure where it connects. do i just disconnect th one going to valve cover then leave the other one open as it will not be plugged into new intake since there is no spot for it? here are some pics of what im talking about:

Attachments

• p1200009.jpg
    p1200009.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 344
one of these tubes goes to the side of the valve cover and i dont know where the other one goes. do i just disconnected the uknown one and just strap it to something or disconnect all together and take out the hose?

Attachments

• p1200011.jpg
    p1200011.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 336
The one going to the valve cover has to be directed somewhere. I just have a cheap air filter on the end of mine, but it does leak a little oil. Some people install a catch can here to save the oil from running down the side of the motor. An easy way of doing this is to get a in-line fuel filter and put an air filter on the end. You'll have to replace the filter around every 3 months, but they are less than a buck and keep your engine bay nice and clean.

The other line I believe goes to the charcoal canister that's hidden down in the depths. I don't believe this is necessary since a lot of guys remove this when they are installing upgraded intakes.

awsome thanks alot man. im going to try and send my bov to ya today. i ran into another problem though. i got the elbow part of the intercooler piping hooke up but theres this damn thing that in the way of me hooking up the rest of it!! what is this thing to the right thats pushing in on the coupler, what can i do about it?

The first picture is the valve cover breather, and you would KNOW what it was if you looked at the link on top of this forum (1g under the hood diagram)

You don't need to plug it back into the intake, you can get a fuel filter and attach it to the end and just let it hang, but it does have to be plugged into the valve cover.

edit: beaten, thought I was at the end of the post :x.

awsome thanks alot man. im going to try and send my bov to ya today. i ran into another problem though. i got everything hooked up now the car fires right up but it keeps going from 2000 rpm to 1500 then back to 2000 and so on and my check engine light is on. not sure what to do now. were there any hoses i needed to cap off that were hooked to the intake?
heres a pic of the setup:

Attachments

• p1200014.jpg
    p1200014.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 324
oops i kinda retyped some stuff LOL sorry. and that hose that looks like its plugged into my intake isnt, its comeng off the bcs, do i need to do anything with that hose?? sorry for all the question!

damnit i jsut went out and test drove it. ran like shit. only hit about 8 psi when i was hitting 11, throttle response is shit, and that bov leaks i think and it makes a weird whistling noise after blowing off :(
im taking it into my mechanic in the morning because im really not sure what to do, an ideas? o and it fit so tight in there i dont think it should fit as tight as it did, that thing on the right next to the maf is like embedded into the coupler.
thanks guys

by the way, the MAFT instructions say to have the GM maf divider orientated vertically. So, you have to rotate the maf 45 degrees to the left, as we are looking at it.

Do you have a pocketlogger?

The 1G bov leaks at idle too, so you may want to put a filter on it... that is the 1G bov right?

As long as you have an MBC you dont need the BCS or the hose coming off of it.

looks like your missing the vacuum line that goes from the intake manifold to the small nipple on the bov. I dono if i is, but that could be causing problems.

hmmm ok the problem is that it fits way too tight look at this picture. it shouldnt be that tight right? :cry: that camshaft angle sensor thing is in the way i dont know what to do i dont think that i can rotate it. i mean the intercooler piping doesnt even fit on straight its kinda crooked but seems to be sealed off good. yes its a modded 1g bov and i dont have a mbc or pocketlogger.....and what about the check engine light?? it wont go off
thanks

hmmm ok the problem is that it fits way too tight look at this picture. it shouldnt be that tight right? :cry: that camshaft angle sensor thing is in the way i dont know what to do i dont think that i can rotate it. i mean the intercooler piping doesnt even fit on straight its kinda crooked but seems to be sealed off good. yes its a modded 1g bov and i dont have a mbc or pocketlogger.....and what about the check engine light?? it wont go off
thanks

thanks

Yes, your mas should be positioned verticly, it has been know to throw a CEL just for that. It looks like you could have a boost leak on the clamp that connects the tube that goes from the SMIC to the MAS, it doesn't look like its on proporly. Here is a pic from dejontool.com of what its supposed to look like.

http://www.dejontool.com/images/DSM-1g SMIC/UIP-1gD(GM)-install.JPG

Also, for your BCS, just disconect the hoses and cap them off(since you don't have the stock MAS), you should get a MBC now to controll boost. Do not just unplug the BCS connector, or you will throw a CEL.

What did you use to seal the BOV connection to the intake pipe? Sometimes you don't get a good seal the first time with silicone.

You HAVE to run a MBC at this point in your mods. The stock controller only estimates boost and is not going to cut it. If I would have known this I would have sent you one of the ones I make for cheap. I also make a dual stage with a electronic switch for inside the cabin, but my hydraulic switch supplier bailed on me, so all I have right now are single-stage MBCs. Once you get one, check around on here for how to install. There are some really nice pics that explain everything.

I can't believe nobody noticed. As soon as I saw the pic it really stood out to me.

HOOK UP THE RPM SENSOR WIRE. You're running the car in back up mode. You have the instructions; check them out. 2 harnesses get plugged into. One purple wire (aux) is left dangling unless you have nitrous/propane.

So that last remaining wire needs to get vampire tapped into the CAS. Do that then come back if there ius a problem. ;)

thanks alot guys, i got it going good and i can really tell the diffrence in power. LOL but i have another problem, god damn intercooler pipe keeps popping off the intercooler. i have teh gasket in there but what keeps happening is the pipe is getting pushed up and off the gasket so it starts leaking real bad. also the inake keeps coming loose where it connects to the turbo inlet, i also have a gaskete there and its doing the same thing. any suggestions?

ok ive been messing around with some things. i seem to have it running ok but not sure what to do with the maft settings until i get a logger. question i have is how should i cap off that charcoal canister hose? can i just put tape around the hole? also the car seems to buck quite a bit if i go WOT then let off the gas and the bov sounds like crap unless at full boost and at about 4500 rpms. might just be liek that but it sounds awful. heres a couple pics of the setup and the hose im talking about. and i did hook up that intake hose to that top part of the bov:

Attachments

• p1270010.jpg
    p1270010.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 234
The vac canister hose is usually left open air,no biggie.the other hose from valve cover will leak oil all over your engine so most guys buy catch can or put a fuel filter on there or breather on the engine.I need to add a fuel filter to mine.

I would think just set the maft at zero until you get a logger.Going too lean can hurt things on the wot setting for sure.Not as likely to hurt things with a lean mid or idle.Also if you are too rich you will get fuel cut even with the fuel cut limiter switched on.You can lean down the maft to compensate on the wot dial or I guess set the base leaner also.

The best way is to get bigger injectors than stock and then lean things down.

So does that pipe fit good or not .Does your cam sensor hit it or just clear.I do think the stock 1g blowoff sounds like a mouse.I call it my boost mouse.Buddies subaru blow off sounds like a squirrel..!!

I think the turbo xs valves sounds nice and mean likely getting one of those.

Did you also manage to stop the intake pipe from coming off.Also if you have cheap hose clamps get some t type clamps they hold much better.

thanks for the reply AL92, the pipes are just barely clearing the cam sensor, that shit was a real tight fit, and i did get the intake to stop coming off even though its a little crooked but it hasnt come off for the last 2 days. ya im planning on ordering a boost controller and maybe some injectors tomorrow. ill keep ya updated. thanks again.

I'm going to forget some things, but I will do what I can:

1. The MAF doesn't have to be vertical. It's best for the center divider to be HORIZONTAL, but it's really not a big deal.

2. If you have idle surge (the idle jumping around) then you have an airflow problem. You either have a leak somewhere after the throttle body (TB gasket, or one of the intake manifold ports, or intake mani seals) or your BISS is not set right. There is a procedure for setting the BISS in the VFAQ, go check that out.

In order to test for leaks, you need to build a pressure tester. A pressure tester is BY FAR the BEST thing you can do for your DSM, there is a VFAQ for that too, in the intake section. Do a search here if you want more information.

Pressure test the car and fix ANY and ALL leaks, you will be absolutely amazed at how much better it runs.

3. You don't need to hook up the rpm wire, especially with a stock-ish setup, especially when you're not tuning. In the long run, you'll want it once you get a logger and start playing around, but for now don't worry about it.

4. For now, you probably want to zero everything out, although you can lean the WOT knob out one click USUALLY and still be ok. Don't do any more than that.

5. See #2. PRESSURE TEST!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back