1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

ECMlink Help with injector #2

Posted by Evolving_sti, Jul 30, 2019

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Evolving_sti

Evolving_sti Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2019
    DANBURY, Connecticut
    Hey guys recently I purchased an eprom ecu from a member here. We finally got my car up and running. It's a 99 gst spyder. Basic boltons, speed density, hks bov , ets front mount. We started the car and it ran god awful as if it was cammed. We thought just needs to be tuned. Take it to my tuner he sets all the parameters and the car still idles terribly. My tuner luckily had another eprom ecu. We switch ecu's my car runs properly. We put my ecu I purchased from a member and its back to running like crap giving me code injector #2 driver fault. This obviously leads us to believe I got a bad ecu.

I contacted the seller who swears up and down the ecu works properly. I started a dispute on paypal. Is there anything that we might have missed that's maybe in ecmlink that we might have missed ?

722  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    320 whp · 315 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  2. wrencher

wrencher Proven Member

Joined Nov 20, 2005
    Chicago, Illinois
    Only thing I've ever ran into with link and shutting down of an injector...
    Was a 2G CAS 6 bolt swap that didn't have misfire shut off in DTC config tab.
    It would eventually shut down #2 injector after a short run time in the few I've encountered.
    No injector codes though... so likely not your issue.

3. Evolving_sti

Joined Apr 28, 2019
    DANBURY, Connecticut
    Thanks for the reply. A 2nd issue I forgot to mention. We set the tps to .63v on the ecu I purchased . When we switched ecus the tps was reading .51v. So idk if theirs a tps circuit issue as well. Im sending the ecu to ecmtuning for diagnosis.

722  6

4. lglracer

lglracer Supporting VIP

Joined Jul 13, 2008
    Sacramento, California
    The voltage change on the edu is a common thing that can,happen with the TPS. I would adjust it and it should be fine. Can you verify the signal for the injector? Have you tried swapping injectors around to see if the issue might be the injector?

Road Race Build 618  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 577  1

1990 Mitsubishi Galant GSX
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4

Street Build 1K  4

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4

554  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  5. Evolving_sti

Joined Apr 28, 2019
    DANBURY, Connecticut
    Hey guys thanks for all the help. We tried a couple more things on ecmlink but the car just runs awful. So we decided to open up the ecu and look at the board. As you can see there is corrosion on the board. Sending it out to ecmtuning to diagnose.
    20190731_095651.jpg 20190731_095645.jpg

722  6

6. ATEAV8

ATEAV8 Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2016
    Seekonk, MA, Massachusetts
    There is a scaling setting in ecmlink that can change this value so more than likely your tps might be set at .63v mechanically, the adjustment tool on ecmlink might not be at 0. Not really an issue

160  1

2003 Mitsubishi Evo8
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution

3K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.12 @ 156 · 1G DSM
  7. ATEAV8

ATEAV8 Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2016
    Seekonk, MA, Massachusetts
    I’m the guy that just sold you the new setup.

For what it’s worth, operation of the injector is actually very simple. They all share 12v power through a resistor box. Make sure you still have your resistor box and it’s not bypassed or it will fry the ecu using a low impedance injector such as stock. If you have 12v at each injector, the other wire pulses ground from the ecu telling it to fire. Because you swapped ECUs and you get the car running different, it could be an ecu issue but it could be a tune issue as well but getting that code certainly suggests an issue with the Ecu. The corrosion on that cap certainly isn’t good.

160  1

2003 Mitsubishi Evo8

3K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.12 @ 156 · 1G DSM
  8. Evolving_sti

Joined Apr 28, 2019
    DANBURY, Connecticut
    Thanks for all your help today. Just wana get my car on the road LOL.

722  6

9. Evolving_sti

Joined Apr 28, 2019
    DANBURY, Connecticut
    Just wana give you guys an update. The new ecu from ATEAV8 arrived. We plugged it in and the car ran perfectly. He gained access to my laptop and remotely setup all the parameters for me. Just glad that my car is finally purring like a kitten.

722  6

10. Evo joe

Evo joe Probationary Member

Joined Jul 20, 2019
    FREEMANSBURG, Pennsylvania
    Great to hear that you back up and running again!

121  1

2005 evolution 8 MR