The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

help with engine noise? vid inside

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboking15

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 16, 2007
columbus, Ohio
So i just got my car running not too long ago and am in the process of tuning it. The other day it was idling in the shop and i began hearing what sounded like a rod knock. I just swapped in 3g lifers and had an issue with one of them so i pulled them all and checked them thinking i collapsed one of them but they all checked out fine.

I can only hear the noise at idle. I have tried the long screwdriver trick and a stethoscope but couldnt hear anything that stood out as this is where its coming from. I checked the oil and it is full, clean, and no signs of metal in the oil. Oil pressure is great 20-30psi at idle. The car has dks 272 cams that are shimmed, evo springs/ret, 3g lifters. @.5 to 3" dp with a 3" cutout that i have open in the video. Running an hx40 and a stock long block. I am still working on the tune but right now it idles a bit lean, idle is 1000 rpm and its pulling 12-13" vacuum.

I thought it was a collapsed lifter but they are all good, now think it is either a wrist pin or a bent valve. I will be pulling all the rockers and pressurizing the cylinders to see if they seal. Or is this just what a cammed dsm sounds like with no exhaust?

Heres the vid:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I will get that capped off next time and see if the noise continues.

It almost sounds like your valves are slapping.... Or maybe Crank walk??

It's saying video not found? I ran into an issue like this about a month ago after I just got my engine back together, within about 60 miles of drive time it sounded like rod knock but more in the head area. Took me days to figure it out and it ended up being a slightly loose cam gear, I even used red loctite on it when I put the cams in so I never would've though. You could BARELY see the gear wobble. I tightened it maybe a quarter turn and that solved it. I hope it's something as easy as that for you...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back