The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Help with driveshaft rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nufoundglry5

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 18, 2003
Austin, Texas
I ordered new carrier bearings and U-joints to rebuild my driveshaft. Problem is, is that I cannot get the lobro joint separated from the rear shaft. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a good trick or good way to get this thing off. The Vfaq just says to "take the joint apart careful no to damage the boot." Well the dust boot side comes off very easily. Am I missing something?

I'm having the same issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just took mine apart the other day to rebuild it. I just put a small chisel on the edge with the arrows pointing to it and lightly tapped it with a hammer. Popped rite apart.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

For some reason neither side will come off my lobro joint!

Have you tried maybe just giving it a good smack with a rubber mallet? There might be some rust under the flanges holding it tight or something. I literally just tapped mine one time with the chisel and hammer and it popped apart.

Rest one side of the joint on a piece of 2x4 and the other side of the joint/shaft just free hanging, and rotate the drive shaft while tapping the joint with a hammer! You dont have to baby tap it, you're not going to hurt it.. This is what I had to do on one of my old driveshafts!

I just took mine apart the other day to rebuild it. I just put a small chisel on the edge with the arrows pointing to it and lightly tapped it with a hammer. Popped rite apart.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I got that side off now, but even if you pop that end off, how can you change the carrier bearing? I thought the other side had to come off to remove the carrier bearing.

Just to verify, both sides will come off the lobro joint on a 2g, right? I've been hammering on the side nearest the carrier bearing quite hard now, along with PB Blaster and a propane torch, and it hasn't budged yet.

I got that side off now, but even if you pop that end off, how can you change the carrier bearing? I thought the other side had to come off to remove the carrier bearing.

Just to verify, both sides will come off the lobro joint on a 2g, right? I've been hammering on the side nearest the carrier bearing quite hard now, along with PB Blaster and a propane torch, and it hasn't budged yet.

Did you take the nut off that is inside that flange? It may be buried in grease so you cant see it. But you take off that nut, Then put a 3 jaw puller on the flange infront of the bearing. Pull that whole piece off. That will leave the carrier bearing on the shaft. Next, pry the rubber bushing in the carrier of the bearing on the inside and pull that whole outer housing thing with the rubber in it off. That leaves just the metal bearing on the shaft. Use your 3 jaw again and pull that off.

*Make sure as you are taking this apart you are marking each piece. Put them back together in the same order because they are balanced*

I just finished putting my driveshaft back together today. It should be much nicer now :thumb:

I can't get to the nut until I separate the lobro joint from the companion flange that is closest to the carrier bearing. Separating the lobro joint from the companion flange nearest the front of the driveshaft didn't really benefit me at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back