The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help with CV Boot Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5chris

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2003
SoCal, California
I have a ruptured CV Boot on my 98 GSX, specifically the inner driver's side. I had managed to take off the 32mm bolt that holds the axle to hub (which is a PITA to remove). Now I am stumped on what to do next!!!:(

I had consulted VFAQ but the one mentioned there is the passenger side which said to remove the 2 bolts that holds the assembly to the shock absorber. The Driver's side in my X has one bolt holding it to the shock absorber. I took that off, the assembly (rotor, hub, etc) would not budge and cant get the axle out. I tried steering side to side, but still no go.

I would not like to take off bolts/parts that I do not have to so I would like anybody who has done it to please chime in or email me an instruction ([email protected])

Thanks.

Im not sure about the 2g's but I took off the tie rods too. dont use a pickle fork if you dont wanan buy new tie rods. hit it where the castle nut is, That should alow ur hub to move all around ( since you un hooked ur Strut bolts ) and put the castle nut back onto the Axles, just so you dont hit the threads when ur taping them out with a hammer. Ive done this ALOT and find it to be the easyest way.

Thanks.

Do I have to take off any other bolts? I will try to do this when I have the chance coz I dont like to see the DSM on jackstands.

So far I had taken off:
(1) 32mm castle nut
(1) bolt in the base of the driver's shock absorber (marked how it sits)

HELP!!!

How can you take off the tie rod ends and the control arms without damaging the rubber boots in them? This is the only one that I have to get past to take the axle assembly off the car,

Shouldve taken it to someone that knows what their doing;)

Originally posted by c5chris
HELP!!!

How can you take off the tie rod ends and the control arms without damaging the rubber boots in them? This is the only one that I have to get past to take the axle assembly off the car,

damnit, I told you this on AIM, use a BFH ( Big f-en hammer, and pound it from were the castle nut is. A pickle fork is going to Distroy the boot.

You can unbolt the bottom of the strut, then take off the two smaller nots on the ti rod and the steering linkage.

Then you can just pull it out far enough to slide the axle out.

It is more bolts but you don't really have to seperate anything hard to get back on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back