The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Help with connector

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterMatt209

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2015
Danville, Indiana
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I’m working on my 95 GSX early model if it matters, and I noticed this plug disconnected with nowhere to plug it into at least nowhere I have found yet. After research I believe it’s a camshaft position sensor. The problem is where I’ve seen the camshaft position sensor I have nothing but a rubber plug in its place. I will be attaching pictures.

Another thing to add is when following the wires it goes from the white and black/white to green and black.

So I’m working on my 95 GSX early model if it matters, and I noticed this plug disconnected with nowhere to plug it into at least nowhere I have found yet. After research I believe it’s a camshaft position sensor. The problem is where I’ve seen the camshaft position sensor I have nothing but a rubber plug in its place. I will be attaching pictures.

Another thing to add is when following the wires it goes from the white and black/white to green and black.

Start here.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-engine-bay-electrical-connections.298047/

That’s actually where I started and figured out it was the camshaft position sensor. But like I said, where his plugs in, mine is just a black rubber circle where the camshaft position sensor would be.

Is there a sensor under your intake cam gear?

Yes and it’s plugged in with the triangle style plug

Looking at his guide, that appears to be the knock sensor connector. It is just before a 3 pin cam position sensor. Your car will not have two camshaft position sensors, if there is one under the intake cam gear you are not going to have another on the passenger side of the motor. Is your knock sensor plugged in? It should have a long lead hanging off of it to connect to.

The knock sensor is on the back of the motor under the intake manifold.
Yup, and on a 2ga the knock sensor connector sits on a bracket roughly where the 2gb/1g cam sensor would be. Looks like the knock sensor connector to me.

Edit: Popped the hood on my car and snapped a few pics:

Last edited:
A/C???

Nope, not the a/c, there are several of those on the 2g but I dont off the top of my head remember what that one is for, I dont think its anything all that important to have though, I'm sure mine is not plugged in, I'm thinking a solenoid for emissions or parking lights/fog light plug or something.

Yes and it’s plugged in with the triangle style plug

2ga have both the cam and crank sensor connectors on the timing gear side, to the rear of the upper timing cover, stacked on top of each other. There's another triangle style plug deeper down that's for the A/C compressor.

Figured it out yet?

I have not yet, I don’t believe it was plugged into anything since I bought the car atleast. The car runs fine besides it shoots to 2000 rpm when I start it but that’s been an issue I’ve been trying to solve for a while now

Yup, and on a 2ga the knock sensor connector sits on a bracket roughly where the 2gb/1g cam sensor would be. Looks like the knock sensor connector to me.

Edit: Popped the hood on my car and snapped a few pics:

That looks exactly like it, gonna see if I can find where the other end is. Do you see where it starts at?

Throwing any codes?

I don’t know yet, the car idles at 2k so I try not to run it. I have a code reader but I’d have to run the car a few times for a code to appear anyways. I believe to have found why it idles high but I’m not sure. I have a picture of my throttle plate to see if it’s correct should I post here or start a new thread since it’s unrelated

I don’t know yet, the car idles at 2k so I try not to run it. I have a code reader but I’d have to run the car a few times for a code to appear anyways. I believe to have found why it idles high but I’m not sure. I have a picture of my throttle plate to see if it’s correct should I post here or start a new thread since it’s unrelated
Start a new thread. Those seem to get more attention anyways.

That looks exactly like it, gonna see if I can find where the other end is. Do you see where it starts at?
Knock sensor lives under the intake manifold, roughly behind cylinder 2. It has about 12-14 inches of wire attached. If it's disconnected/loose, it might be dangling down on top of the transfer case or something like that. Starter and intake manifold bracket/stay will be in the way if you try to come in from the passenger side, but if you reach down under the manifold from the driver's side, you'll be able to see it, and put your hand on it.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back