The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help with Big brake kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redtsi252

Banned Member
Nov 15, 2007
Morehead City, North_Carolina
Ok...so0o I am in the process of putting together a Big brake kit...

I was gonna use some Evo 8 Brembo...I cut the ears off my stock 2G spindle and welded on new ears to match the bolt pattern using a friends caliper...worked and Fit awsome...BUT Iam not willing to pay $500+ for some calipers

I want to do this the cheap way

So0o I am gonna be using 3000GT calipers...new from Advanced for $116 each

I am onnly doing the fronts at this time...

I will be fabricating the brackets ...so0o thats out the way...

next I need some rotors

does anyone kno how many inches the stock 3000gt rotors are?

I came across this thread http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...350-guide-13-1-4-piston-brakes-1gs-cheap.html

and seen that I can use Cobra rotors...But what year??????? and will this work on a 2G ?

thanx guys lemme kno whatcha got as far as Idea wise...or if you kno of any better calipers I can get cheap?

I was gonna use some Evo 8 Brembo...I cut the ears off my stock 2G spindle and welded on new ears to match the bolt pattern using a friends caliper...worked and Fit awsome...BUT Iam not willing to pay $500+ for some calipers

So0o I am gonna be using 3000GT calipers...new from Advanced for $116 each

I am onnly doing the fronts at this time...

I will be fabricating the brackets ...so0o thats out the way...

next I need some rotors

does anyone kno how many inches the stock 3000gt rotors are?

I came across this thread http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...350-guide-13-1-4-piston-brakes-1gs-cheap.html

and seen that I can use Cobra rotors...But what year??????? and will this work on a 2G ?

thanx guys lemme kno whatcha got as far as Idea wise...or if you kno of any better calipers I can get cheap?

The rotors came in diffferent sizes depending on year. Here's a link with info galore Stealth 316 - Brake Upgrade Options

redtsi252 said:

I would be wary of those welds holding up. Doing something the "cheap" way doesn't always fester desired results.

Take my situation for instance. I am also doing the Evo rotor and caliper swap. Bought them separately last summer. Also have my RRE SS lines. Waiting on delivery of the JDM steering knuckles. Still need to purchase four rebuild kits, eight mounting bolts, four dust shields, pads, shims, and payment for powder coating. I'm in the process now of sand blasting my calipers. No red for me. Glossy black, hell yeah.

So to break it down even further, I've been collecting all the necessary parts and pieces for some time now. But in the end I know it will be well worth it. And I won't have any anxiety of things not bolting up like they should, or things not working properly. Patience is a virtue.

If this works out for you, then great. But don't ask me to go for a ride.

There are some excellent threads on this forum concerning customized brake kits utilizing inexpensive parts while producing a quality part.

Here is a great link to a well-detailed brake design and writeup:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/184965-bargain-basement-big-brakes.html

Be sure to note the fact that if you are having a soft brake pedal after installation and bleeding, you likely have too small of a brake master cylinder and will require one with a larger bore that is greater than or equal to 1" to regain your pedal feel. This is different than clamping pressure or hydraulic pressure as more pressure would be given from a smaller diameter bore by extending its stroke. Either way, if you have pedal pressure issues afterward, please don't forget to think about this tidbit of advice.

If you are a 2G FWD, your brake master cylinder bore should be 7/8" or 15/16", while the AWD models come with a 1.0" bore master cylinder. A larger bore master cylinder (bolt-in, but fittings will require modification) would be the brake master cylinder from a 3000GT VR4, which has a 1 1/16" bore.

Bigger the bore, the stiffer the pedal will feel. The smaller the bore, the softer the pedal feel, but you will have higher line pressure and higher clamping force.

Good luck,

Also remember that when discussing brake swaps like this, the subject of wheel spacers almost always comes up, as they are usually required. In my case the fit was so close that the wheel scratched the paint off the calipers. I sanded them and repainted and ended up with clearance about the thickness of a sheet of paper.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back