The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Help with 1gina2g swap(motor mounts)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sulferix

Probationary Member
Mar 22, 2021
apple valley, Minnesota
So my 7 bolt 96 gsx 2g crankwalked, so the natural path was to swap in a 6 bolt motor. I gave an online guide to a shop(that has experience swaping motors in general) and everything has gone pretty smoothly so far, without a hitch.

However, i called them up today and turns out the front and rear motor mounts dont line up. the front is apparently easily modifyable, but the engine in the rear is offset to the right 3.5 inches. also the driveshaft doesnt line up apparently. i will have photos to share in a few days, but i thought i would make this post just in case anyone else had issues when swapping 6 bolt motors into 2gs and the rear motor mounts being off a couple inches.

the modifications to the mount that bolts up next to the water pump have been done, and that mount is in just fine. everything else is buttoned up, but for some reason it doesnt line up in the rear. 6 bolt is a 91 manual fwd motor. Is there something im missing? we only got the motor from the donor car, so we should have everything we need, and it being a fwd motor shouldnt matter if the awd flywheel is installed?(which we did) So im confused why i cant seem to find this issue anywhere. its not mentioned in any guides, and no one else has ever seemed to have this problem. I also asked them to check if the mounting bracket is upside down, and it isnt..... please help because there seems to be no documentation anywhere.

On 2gs the "motor mounts" you will use will be the existing on the transmission. You are NOT using the mounts from a 6 bolt. It seems the people you have doing the swap have never done the swap before. Id go to Vfaq.com and give them the instructions needed.

On 2gs the "motor mounts" you will use will be the existing on the transmission. You are NOT using the mounts from a 6 bolt. It seems the people you have doing the swap have never done the swap before. Id go to Vfaq.com and give them the instructions needed.
Nope, they are only using the parts from the 2g, including the mounts. no parts came with the 1g other than the parts that were attached to the head and the turbo and manifold

Also be sure they didn't happen to swap auto with manual mounts or vise-versa. I've done this swap many times as well and ever had any alignment problems.
again, they literally have only the 2g mounts. there is no reason they would be using anything else.

There isn't a reason motor mounts wouldn't be lining up unless they are doing something wrong. Theyre only messing with 1 motor mount

There isn't a reason motor mounts wouldn't be lining up unless they are doing something wrong. Theyre only messing with 1 motor mount
Exactly.

nothing moved on the transmission which has the front and rear mount brackets . everything is in the same spot.

if they can't figure out how to reinstall it, i can't even imagine how bad they're gonna f*** up when they have to swap plugs wires and injector pins

So my 7 bolt 96 gsx 2g crankwalked, so the natural path was to swap in a 6 bolt motor. I gave an online guide to a shop(that has experience swaping motors in general) and everything has gone pretty smoothly so far, without a hitch.

However, i called them up today and turns out the front and rear motor mounts dont line up. the front is apparently easily modifyable, but the engine in the rear is offset to the right 3.5 inches. also the driveshaft doesnt line up apparently. i will have photos to share in a few days, but i thought i would make this post just in case anyone else had issues when swapping 6 bolt motors into 2gs and the rear motor mounts being off a couple inches.

the modifications to the mount that bolts up next to the water pump have been done, and that mount is in just fine. everything else is buttoned up, but for some reason it doesnt line up in the rear. 6 bolt is a 91 manual fwd motor. Is there something im missing? we only got the motor from the donor car, so we should have everything we need, and it being a fwd motor shouldnt matter if the awd flywheel is installed?(which we did) So im confused why i cant seem to find this issue anywhere. its not mentioned in any guides, and no one else has ever seemed to have this problem. I also asked them to check if the mounting bracket is upside down, and it isnt..... please help because there seems to be no documentation anywhere.
Are you sure the old 6 bolt mount brackets weren't still attached to the motor? That would confuse them for sure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back