The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

help wanted from everyone with a higher stall torque converter!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saw wave analog

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2004
south bend, Indiana
well, after so many disappointing track days seeing my mph rise with mods but my et's and 60's staying the same i have decided that instead of getting dsmlink as my next mod i will be getting a new converter from ipt stalled at ~4k. after much digging i still have not found much information about the installation of a converter into our cars. i did the shift kit and end clutches myself with no problems, im not scared to get in there and do it myself, but id like to know what to expect. would someone that has installed a converter into their a/t care to detail the process to me in this thread? how long will it take, how many bolts to take out, where to start, does the whole tranny come out, how is the converter attached to the crank etc etc.. any and all information would be much appreciated. i plan on making a vfaq out of the install to help people in the future, so help me now and ill give you a cookie :D

Its not too bad assuming that you have a descent level of mechanincal skill you will have to remove the trans to change the convertor. You'll need to remove everthing above the trans to give yourself room to work so take off your intake and intercooler piping, then remove all the bell housing bolts accept for the two bolt that connect the trans to the block where the dowels are. Remove the starter. remove the support underneath the car. theres a couple diffrent ways to get the axles out also this process is dependant on fwd or awd. you can either take off the wheels and take out the bolts holding the spindle to the strut and the outer tie rod then remove the axle nuts and remove the axles or i used to unbold the lower control arms and leave the wheels on it will give you enough room to pop the axles out of the trans and leave them in the spindles. When you got all that done your going to need to remove the torque convertor bolts so your going to have to spin the motor by hand to get them once all that is done put a jack under the trans remove the rear trans mount and the last two bell housing bolts and remove the trans. once the trans is out of the car the torque convertor is easy it will slide right out the front of the trans and then simply slide the new one in make sure to turn and push they do not always seat all the way in just sliding it in and then reverse the trans removal process

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back