The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

help tuning a friends car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planblars

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2004
Eau claire, Wisconsin
ok this is kind of a random question, but I'm tuning my friends car with him because well he has never tuned a car with an AFC and he got one from a kid with no manual so he doesn't know how to tune it.

Anyway, I don't know a lot about what the turbo he has is and what it is capable of. I'm pretty sure its a 56trim anyway. I was wonder what is the max boost i should expect to try to tune for on his setup with the injectors he has (660s).

Like i said i don't know a ton about his turbo and I have only tuned for my 14b and 18g so I'm not really sure what to expect with it...

sorry if this post seems a little dumb. any help would be great

GT3040 BB Turbo (Full Garrett)
SFP Manifold
Turbonetics 38mm Wastegate
AGP Stainless 02 Housing
3"Turbotech Downpipe
3" Hi-flow Cat
3" Greddy PE Exhaust
Hallman MBC
Denso 660 Injectors
Wahlbro 255 FP
SAFC2
Custom IC piping
Greddy 24R FMIC
ACT 2600
Greddy Type S BOV
OBX Intake

If its pump gas your looking at 20-22psi max. For those 660's your looking at around 32-40% on that afc 40% being the leanest id go. Start around -32 and work your way leaner. I would suggest to tell your friend to get a wideband as well. It will help you out a ton in the long run and make it a breeze to tune. giving that the car has no boost leaks and is running fine etc etc.

I really wish that everyone would stop using pressure to define the limits of a system :mad: .

Sorry RavenX, I'm not yelling at you, just in general. :thumb:

Pressure = Heat

Airflow = Power

I think I've said this 10 times in the last 5 days but here I go again:

You can be running 30psi but if you are only flowing 15 lbs/min of air you aren't going to hurt anything (except maybe lifting the head or blowing a HG). But as far as running out of fuel, no, everything will be fine.

On the other hand, you can be running 25psi with 44lbs/min airflow (limit of the EVO III 16g) and be maxing out both a 190lph FP and 550cc injectors.

To the original poster:

You should really push him into getting an AFPR, that will make your life much easier.

Take a look at this guide and start with the boost nice and low:

http://www.racingknowledge.org/ver3/viewtopic.php?t=1011

Then post back if you have any questions.

he actually does have a FPR i just forgot to mention it on the list

thanks for the link though

Is your friend named James??

I know him from Myspace..always smack-talking about his modded dsm, but I didn't think he could actually tune it, just drive it...LOL

Anyway, start out the tuning with some basic logs in 3rd gear to redline...That will tell you how rich/lean he is...

A wideband would ensure you a more accurate way of tuning, since you would really know how lean/rich the car is, but for now just make sure his timing isn't dropping (knock present) and I guess you would be able to tell based on the narrowband 02 voltage for now, but it is inaccurate so be careful

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back