The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

HELP - Tokico distribution issue - need alternatives to Illumina

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaveeDSM

Supporting VIP
Dec 22, 2008
Miami, Florida
My 98 GST has for the last +/- 8 years had a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs with Tokico Illumina Shocks. I have been VERY happy with that set up but the shocks - front and back - are starting to sag some and maybe the springs are wearing also and I'm gonna replace them.

I got a GREAT deal on a set of new, never installed Eibach Pro-Kit springs and will replace those along with the shocks. I can not return those.

HERE IS My PROBLEM/DILEMA:

I ordered and received the REAR Tokico Illumina shock set (P/N BU3534) from Amazon (I'm still in a short window of time to return them - have to return by tomorrow or I'm stuck with them). I'm an Amazon prime member so all I'll have to eat is the +/- $20 shipping to send them back which I plan to do tomorrow. This is why I plan to return them: I have searched EVERYWHERE and no vendor in the entire USA has the FRONT set of Illuminas (P/N BU3532) in stock. Amazon has ONE of the front shocks but no other reseller ANYWHERE has a second front or a pair of the front shocks - and virtually all of them are drop shippers anyway.

I have called and spoken to Paul at JNZ and the folks at Road Race and found multiple references on the net that as of months ago and have confirmed that going back months now Tokico had some issue/dispute with its USA distributor, dropped them and no replacement has been found and no one has any timetable of if or when a new replacement distributor will be found or if Tokico is dropping out of the market entirely. I can't wait indefinitely to wait for Tokico - and it may never be resolved - so I need to consider alternatives to the Illuminas.

Now, I considered a mix/match scenario - keep the rear Illuminas and go with a different comparable brand/model of performance shock for the front. I am a NOT very knowledgeable about suspension set ups but my instinct tells me the mix/match idea is probably not the best. If I'm mistaken please someone educate me.

But if it is in fact NOT a good idea to mix and match shock brands/models between front and rear, can anyone suggest a shock brand/model alternative shock for all four wheels to the Tokico Illumina's - that is a good alternative to go along with my Eibach Pro-Kit springs?

I was thinking maybe Koni Yellows ??? but have no idea if paired with the Eibach Pro-Kit how they will work compared to my prior great but now wearing out Tokico set up.

I do not autoX and don't run at a rack, my car is a regular but not truly daily driver and here in Miami we hav pretty good quality roads and highways but its all flat with basically no hills and very few curves.

I am not very knowledgeable about suspension set ups so any advice on what shocks to get here is much appreciated.

PS: Sorry the post is a little long-winded - I wanted to give a clear picture of the issue at hand.

I was thinking maybe Koni Yellows ??? but have no idea if paired with the Eibach Pro-Kit how they will work compared to my prior great but now wearing out Tokico set up.

Koni's are a much better shock than the Tokico's in general, so you should be fine if you go that route. Another option is the KYB AGX's, but I blew two sets of those with sleeve-type coilovers and 450lb/inch springs years ago. You may be ok with the Pro-Kits as their spring rate isn't quite as high.

Check out autoanything for a set of KONIS I paid less then 104 dollars per strut with the discount codes available and free shipping. I posted about the deal a few months ago. Good luck.

@Roberti2G - I saw your thread from a couple months back where you got the Koni's at a great price w the discount codes and sale. Checked their site and they are now $170.95 each! Can't find any sale or promo code...
Several other vendors (Tire Rack, JNZ, etc) have them in the $160 ish range

Koni 8041-1207 Sport Yellow (for the front)
Koni 8041-1208 Sport Yellow (for the rear)

@RamenPride - I had seen that ebay listing before and thought the $1,262.88 price per shock simply had to be a typo. I messaged the seller to ask and to confirm if in fact he had 3 available before ordering. The answer was price was correct :confused:but that he actually hade NONE in stock (vs the 3 the listing shows) and had no idea when/if he would be able to actually get them. He also confirmed the issue w getting Tokico product for some time now...

@RoryBarron - link is broken

At this point I'll probably go w the Koni Yellows but will wait for sale or better pricing - my existing set up is not yet at a critical state.

I would still like to know if the combination of the Eibach Pro-Kit with the Koni yellows will be a decent ride/handling that my Illuminas had been for so long....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back