The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Help! timing adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spymoto

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 2, 2003
Madison_WI
First off I'd like to tell you that my BISS is set correctly. I went through all of the steps from vfaq. Also that I don't have idle surge either.

The problem:

When I went to check my timing with the timing light, I notice that the timing fuctuates alot between 4deg. and 9deg.(a constant back and forth sweep) without the timing check plug grounded.

When it is grounded ( the way you set the timing) it's rock solid at the 5 deg. mark.

Now, from what the owners manual says It should be at the 5 Deg. mark with the plug grounded and 8 Deg. when ungrounded, and their should be no fluctuation if the ecu contoler is working right, but doesn't tell you what to do if it is fluctuating. Like mine is. I looked all over and couldn't find anything to correct this.

PLEASE, If anyone know what might be the wrong let me know.
I just hope that I don't need a new ECU.

P.S. I do have a JDM motor in this car, But has the stock intake on it.
It runs great, but would like to know why the computer is making corrections on the timing.

-Mine does the same, I think that's the ECU making correction from various input change, when you ground the connector, it by pass the ECU, so the timing is stable.

Without the plug grounded it should be contantly adjusting for the best timing for the parameters in the ecu.

I set mine around 8 with the plug grounded and it stays anywhere from 8 to 10 deg advanced when the plugs is pulled.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back