1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

New Site Feature Help Test a New Search Function

Posted by Ludachris, Oct 19, 2018

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    I've been playing with a search feature that we can use to supplement (or replace) our existing search tool. Check it out here:
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/threadloom/search

Try it out and let me know what you think. If it proves to be a major improvement I will take the next steps in integrating it into the site.

Street Build 8K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  2. Yourstruly131

Yourstruly131 Probationary Member

Joined Jun 17, 2018
    Clarksville, Virginia
    Seems to work pretty good, great work on the website!!!

3. Radnorack

Radnorack Probationary Member

Joined Oct 10, 2018
    Festus, Missouri
    Gave it a try and love how it works. Awesome update Chris!

Street Build 343  1

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  4. sacrileger

sacrileger Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2016
    Orillia, ON, Canada
    It would be great if the search bar did not execute the search every time a selection is made. I would like to select various search parmeters and then click search, look it the results and adjust search parameters again. I would like to see the search bar above the search results. Also, I'd like to see a pull down menu from which to select a prefix as a search parameters. I have a few more suggestions but will wait if any of these are implemented.

5. gdwalters

gdwalters Probationary Member

Joined May 20, 2018
    Fortuna, California
    Seems to be working good for me. Nice work. If you need anything I would love to contribute. Just graduated from my Graphic design program. Happy boosting!

6. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    I'll ask the developer about these - my gut feeling is that the thread prefixes might be an option that can be turned on, but I doubt a change in the behavior like you're talking about would be possible (disabling the instant filtering when an option is clicked to move to a situation where you can select multiple options and then click "Go"). This isn't a custom built solution that we can customize heavily to work the way we want, it's a solution that is available for the type of forum we run, so we're a little limited, but again, I will ask the developer what is possible. This exercise is mainly to test and see if this new available solution is worth implementing on the site.

What are your other suggestions?

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

7. Readdy2die

Readdy2die Proven Member

Joined Dec 4, 2013
    Lansdowne, Pennsylvania
    Works pretty well. No complaints here

Street Build 1K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. hopwoodp

hopwoodp Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2004
    Oak Harbor, Washington
    Works great for me.

Street Build 604  15

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. AntmanAndLittleDi

AntmanAndLittleDi Proven Member

Joined Nov 12, 2014
    Russell, Kansas
    Works great, I tried 10ish searches. Some with numbers and some without. I like how it doesn't take your search literally, meaning when I typed in "6 bolt swap" it gave me "6-bolt swap," "6bolt swap" and other variations. Maybe it could list the results in order by date? So we don't read an older post with recommendations that are outdated, whether it be by using a newer and better technique, setup or electronic. Thanks for helping all of us with this nice update. I think the search function is probably the most used item here or atleast the highest recommended function.

Road Race Build 2K  15

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    automatic · 2G DSM
  10. We're on Boost

We're on Boost Proven Member

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    I really like it, lots better than the one we've had.
    I tried the "Custom dates" under the Time button and that worked for finding something I spent about an hour looking for a couple days ago, stuff from around 2004. Found it very fast with this today.
    I like the search by user name. That is something I would use a lot. I like that you can type in the first few characters of a name and it will give you a list of names that start that way.
    Sort by "relevance" or by "date" is good.
    It's good that you can clear some things individually without clearing everything.
    Pretty much all good I'd say. Major improvement.

I use a mouse and I worry that new software sometimes is optimized for touch screen and that they are forgetting about people who still use a mouse. But I had no such problem with the new search feature.

Oh, in case it helps you to know what machine I'm using it is like this:
    Desktop computer with Windows 7, Chrome browser, AMD FX-8370 8 core, decent Nvidia video board, internet speed somewhere over 100 Mbps (fast). If all the work is done by your server than maybe this stuff at my end makes no difference, I have no idea.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    650 whp · 510 lb/ft · 1G DSM

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  11. We're on Boost

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    Sometimes I want to search through all the "Specs & Mods" pages to look for people who use, for example, AEM cam gears with a Zaklee cover (LOL not recommended). Is there a way to do that? A search limited to just what is in Specs & Mods. I tried typing "Specs & Mods" into the "Forum" field thinking it might be there, but no.

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  12. pottersgst

pottersgst Proven Member

Joined Oct 15, 2006
    franklinville, New Jersey
    Just to add my 2cents ...been on tuners for a little longer then a decade and I can honestly say I am so thrilled this has been upgraded it is easier to get results instead of knowing how to search on old system much appreciated for your guys desire to continue to improve the already most vast collection of dsm knowledge on the internet thank you chris and all others for your continued help and dedication to us all :dsm::hellyeah:

Street Build 440  23

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

384  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  13. KenshinHimura

KenshinHimura Probationary Member

Joined Jul 14, 2018
    C falls, Ohio
    I like it. It seems more user friendly and more easy to navigate compared to the old one.

Showcar Build 402  2

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  14. We're on Boost

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    We will still need a "Search this thread" that shows up right on the page in every thread. We have that with the old one and it seems to work ok, although it isn't as obvious on the page as it could be and takes more clicks than it should. So that might not impact the new search tool, just mentioning it because we will still need it and it should be easy to find and quick to use.

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  15. godprayzer

godprayzer Probationary Member

Joined Apr 14, 2017
    Eaton Rapids, Michigan
    Seems to work good. One thing I’ve been looking for (maybe I’ve missed it) is the ability to search for members in my area. There are the regional groups but I’d like to search for example 2G DSMs in lower Michigan

Street Build 994  14

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.649 @ 100.63 · 2G DSM
  16. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    That wouldn't be achieved with this search feature, but I found a separate Member search feature which could do that. I can see about adding that at some point.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

17. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    So what you're saying is to make it more obvious that you can search only the forum you're viewing? The old forum script had that in a different spot, as where this software combines it in the main search box. I'd have to custom code it to work more like the old software, which becomes difficult to maintain when we go through software updates. I'll make note of it anyway.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

18. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Actually, that's possible now and is a separate search form. Go up to the DSM Profiles menu in the main navigation and choose the Search DSM Profiles option. You'll be taken to the page where you can search DSM Profiles. There is a tab called Advanced Search - click that and you can then search mod fields ;) It's really cool.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

19. Doubleot

Doubleot Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2009
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    Works great!

Street Build 3K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    279.1 whp · 325.3 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  20. We're on Boost

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    Well it would be to make it more obvious that you can search only the thread that you are viewing (not forum) and make it quick to get into. The way we've had it over the last couple years works pretty good, the one in the upper right hand corner that is just a blank field sitting there with a magnifying glass by it. I wouldn't want to lose that capability, and if the user interface to it changes, it should be to make it more obvious and quick to use. I don't see where we have that capability in the new tool that we are testing. I see forum there, but not thread. I know now why I am not wild about the blank field in the upper right for this even though it has the check box that says "Search this thread only". It's because when you click in it to start it, it still doesn't show you that you can "Search this thread only" until you type something into it. Then finally you get that option. So it's kind of obscure and I think somebody had to tell me it was there.

That reminds me, in order to get any choices to show up in the Forum drop-down, well, it's blank by default, you have to remember the name of the forum and type some of that in to start getting anything listed to pick from. Maybe there are too many forums to show them all in a big list as soon as you pick the "Forum" drop down, but normally most drop downs work that way. What makes the Forum drop down worse is if you remember part of the forum name and type that in, you won't get anything unless you start with the same first word that the forum name does. For instance, "Fab" gets nothing. It should get "Custom Fabrication". "Tech" gets nothing. It should get every forum name that has "tech" in it. "Hangout" gets nothing. It should get "The Hangout". LOL

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  21. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Part of the issue with the search box not showing that you can search "this forum only" or "this thread only" until you finish your search term is browser functionality saving past searches. On a desktop machine you can click off of the search field just above the Search and More buttons. I know it's not as visible as it used to be but having the option up there makes some sense. I'll see if it would be difficult to add a secondary spot like before.

As for the filter for forums, and the fact that the search only works when you know the actual forum name, I'll ask the developer.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

22. We're on Boost

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    The "Search DSM Profiles" option looks like it should do what I'm looking for on this one, but, I can't get it to work!
    It seems like even the "General Keyword Search" should work fine for me, but when I put something in the blank that I know is out there, word for word, I get "No results found". I tried that with "AEM cam gears" in the blank, and with "Halotron" in the blank.

Then I switched over to "Advanced Field Search" and first thing I notice is there is no blank to put in your keyword there! So I figure, it must be remembering the keyword I already put in with the General Keyword Search. But I don't see any choice there that says anything like "Mod" or "Specs and Mods". It shows me a list of 5 items:
    + Model/Trim:
    + Turbo Type:
    + Drivetrain:
    + Transmission Type:
    + Build Type:

None of which I want. So I just pick Search again there and it gives me 667 pages of results.
    I just don't get it, or it's not working.

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  23. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    For some reason the Mods fields were not set to be searchable... they are now. Try it out.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

24. We're on Boost

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    Ok, now I see Mod categories there and each one has an input field that opens up when you click it.
    This is not how I would normally search through specs and mods. I would not want to have to guess a sub-category to find my keyword in. For example, some people put "GSC S2" into Bolt-ons, and some people put it into Engine Mods. I don't really care what category the user thinks the mod belongs in. I just want to get a list of all the profiles that list that mod somewhere in their Specs and Mods.
    So maybe I should be using "General Keyword Search" there, instead of Advanced Field Search. But I've tried a few keywords in General Keyword Search and it always gives me "No Results Found".
    I think General Keyword Search under Search DSM Profiles is what I would use for this if it worked.
    Maybe that's not really it either. Because that should search you whole Profile? And that includes your whole build thread I think?
    I'd want something that works like General Keyword Search and it only searches Specs and Mods.
    Then when I go to one of the pages given in the list of results, I would use Chrome "Find" to highlight every instance of the keyword on that page, and that works really well when the page has a lot of stuff on it!

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  25. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Yeah, the General Keyword Search only searches the "DSM Profile Description" which is a short description of the build. It doesn't search all of the mod fields. I would remove that search option but it's a default part of the search and would be complicated to do - I'll see if I can make the page default to the Advanced tab.

There is no way to search all mod fields at once. You have to search the appropriate fields to find what you're looking for. If the member put stuff in the wrong fields for their profile, not much can be done except for searching that same term in multiple fields.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.