The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Help! Sunroof wont close and its raining!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boznogel247

Probationary Member
Dec 11, 2007
Brownsburg, Indiana
Hey guys, last night on my way home from a concert my sun roof would not close all the way. I would hold the button for it to close and it would get about an inch away from closing and then just go back about an inch or two and then stop. It just started raining so I got a trash bag over it now to stop from leaking. I let my car sit all night hoping it was just a temp problem but nope its still doing it this morning. I wd40'd the rails in hopes it just needed lube but that didnt help. Any ideas or anyone have this same issue? Its a 2g 97 GS if that helps. I got a bunch of crap to do and I need this fixed! Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Thanks!

if you can have some one inside hold the button down, and you beat on it a ever so lightly a little, worked in my integra. (WARNING DON'T BASH THE S$@t OUT OF IT)

I just tried manually cranking it closed with an allen wrench and it wont close any further but it will open more with it. I also tried pushing up on it a little while I was doing it and no luck.

mine is starting to do this. I will hold the close button, it will start to close and about half way it will stop and start to open. I just put my fingers on the lip of the sunroof glass and pull it along (gently though)

The left side "arm" that holds the glass up is getting caught on something it seems although there is nothing there. Im gonna see if I can take the glass of tonight and do more investigation but more people please feel free to chime in. I tried pulling it and pushing it but the arm is still getting stuck.

I had a sunroof assembly sitting here in which one side was stuck, its hard to explain. There is a small plastic piece that got stuck on the only way we could get it out was to really get in there with a screwdriver or something to wedge in there. I have good sunroof tracks if you need them (last resort).

I think the cables are out of adjustment. Does one side of the sunroof seem like it's closing before the other side? ie. left side is closing before the right side or vice versa. My sunroof was doing what you described and it turned out the right cable somehow skipped some threads that attach to the motor and made the right side of sunroof close sooner than the left side. Try taking off the sunroof glass and then closing or opening the sunroof. If it "closes" normally then you're sunroof cables are definitely out of adjustment.

Its not a problem with you motor or button. It has to do with the tracks themself. When you take the glass ot check for any debrit or part broken off stuck in the tracks.

I got it fixed guys, im not sure what was stopping the left arm. I took the glass off and put my sunroof in the open position. Cleaned the arms and lubed the rails it works like a charm again. Thanks for the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back