The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

help starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studabaker

Supporting Member
Nov 1, 2008
Sacramento, California
I have done block and head rebuild and quite frustrated however now that ive done this much work I hate to give up and I do like the car and I like my suspension and wheels and never got to finish the interior.

Can anyone help me get it started. I think Ive got the rear main seal leak fixed by rebuilding the head, I hope. It wont start to really leak much like before.

I just did the fuel filter today which is not fun. I thought there was low fuel pressure last time I pulled the fuel line off the intake.

Maybe fuel injectors? I just want to be sure before I replace anything else.

I had oil in one cylinder but that was why I rebuilt a different head which has been checked out by a machine shop.

I am too far into it to give up.

Need more info. Does it crank when you turn the key? Why do you assume fuel injectors? You need air, fuel, and spark.

If it cranks pull a spark plug and see if it sparks when cranking. Don't hold it too close to the combustion chamber because if you are getting fuel it can ignite from the fumes. When you pull the plug and crank see if you smell fuel.

It's really hard to help you with the info given. Do you have an aftermarket fpr? Also your rear main deal has nothing to do with rebuilding the head and it will not leak until the car is running because all your oil is just sitting in the pan as of right now.

Your post is nearly unreadable. What have you done. What is the status of the car right now? What mods are on the car? Real main seal is nowhere near the cylinder head.
Help us help you. Please repost.

Yes 420 a and thank you guys for such quick posts I really appreciate it. I like this car a lot.

I had a leak from the rear main seal which I had traced to something wrong with the head so I got a new one. I got the new head rebuilt from a machine shop. I have not pulled the spark plugs and done that and maybe I will try that but its turning over and I have new spark plugs and I should rule that out your right. I know the three basic things but it was running when I lost oil after hitting road damage and caught the drain plug and lost the oil. Sorry for my structure of my post. I took the head off and there was oil in one cylinder.

I had the block honed and had the crank ground and polished using over sized bearings.

Thank you

I'll go do the spark test now.
picture is of oil in cylinder which lead to head replacement.

Attachments

• 20140906_185731.jpg
    20140906_185731.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Ok np glad to help, always follow the K.I.S.S. rule and let us know wht u find w/ the spark test[DOUBLEPOST=1414361338][/DOUBLEPOST]Dont mean to offend just makin sure u covered the basics

just wondering what was wrong with the head that lead you to believe that was causing a rear main leak.

no spark

takes two people so....

posted a picture of oil and fuel in one cylinder which lead me to believe that there was something wrong with the head. I did not bother to follow up on that right now, it was easier to pull another one and get it checked out. My biggest concern was that somehow oil was getting from the head into the cylinder...

Ill research what to do with a no spark situation. Ill follow up on that and see where that gets me.[DOUBLEPOST=1414364290][/DOUBLEPOST]I dont feel stupid after all the rebuilding but just lost. stuff used t work and now it doesnt. @%^

takes two people so....

posted a picture of oil and fuel in one cylinder which lead me to believe that there was something wrong with the head. I did not bother to follow up on that right now, it was easier to pull another one and get it checked out. My biggest concern was that somehow oil was getting from the head into the cylinder...

Ill research what to do with a no spark situation. Ill follow up on that and see where that gets me

this would have nothing to do with a rear main. a rear main is behind the flywheel or torque converter

We'll now were getting somewhere cross the injectors off your list LOL.

I don't know much about the 420a. I'm assuming it has a coil pack could be that went bad. But first things first you had the motor out check all your connections make sure you didn't forget to plug something back in. Could be something as stupid as that.[DOUBLEPOST=1414364932][/DOUBLEPOST]
takes two people so....

Ill research what to do with a no spark situation. Ill follow up on that and see where that gets me

this would have nothing to do with a rear main. a rear main is behind the flywheel or torque converter

Regardless of his rear main leaking and thinking it was a head issue lets help him get his car started first.[DOUBLEPOST=1414365000][/DOUBLEPOST]
Check timing may b 180 degrees out

If it were 180 out he would still be getting spark just not in the right firing order

This relay is clicking by the egr relay or whatever those relays are up by the wiper fluid container. I think its the fuel pump relay but its just doing that because its pumping and being shut off with sufficient pressure?[DOUBLEPOST=1414365674][/DOUBLEPOST]Ah my friend you are exactly right on the location of the rear main seal which would, as I have learned possibly be leaking because of blow by and the picture I posted which shows the oil in the cylinder.

I dont know for certain that old head has caused the rear main leak and I still may not have solved it because I cannot get it to start at this point.

the oil could have been in there because I kept cranking it due to the same issue Im working on right now.

oil in cylinder = bad - from head? caused rear seal leak?

Last edited:
If it was running b4 and its not running after u had the head off and redid it all then its most likely not a ignition coil gone bad "all of a sudden", if the timing is 180 out it will NOT fire because the cam and crank sensors r out of sync[DOUBLEPOST=1414366074][/DOUBLEPOST]Good call on checkin ALL electrical connectors though, and all ground wires as well[DOUBLEPOST=1414366201][/DOUBLEPOST]The oil leak at this point is irrelivent, no point n fixing tht if u cant get it running

Last edited:
I switched the cam sensor and the coil pack sensor.[DOUBLEPOST=1414367631][/DOUBLEPOST]Well its certainly an issue. The rear main is pretty big deal it took me a lot to learn about that. I replaced it a few times before deciding that the seal was not the issue and I have a whole thread on that. Now I need to check for spark again now that I have figured out I switched those plugs. I really appreciate you guys support, it will feel great when I resolve this. I wanted to put it in a compactor this morning.[DOUBLEPOST=1414367699][/DOUBLEPOST]My timing is good.

Last edited:
Didnt start.

I still need to check spark. Im thinking my timing is off a tooth.

I know that sensor is working because (what I think is the asd relay) is no longer clicking.

I have to get a neighbor to help me test the spark.

Last edited:
I went to test spark and it started up this time. I tried it after switching the plugs but it didnt start yesterday.

The timing is fine. It runs. Maybe it could be better

It runs great. my timing belt is drifting up to the block. I saw a youtube video on how to fix that but i dont remember what it said.

Thank you again for your moral support

high five.

Well almost its still leaking oil. It has to be an oil pathway clogged somehow. Im thinking im gonna have t pull the bedplate off and reseal that or compmletely rebuild the engine again paying attention to the oil pathways or something. Maybe I could have put to much sealant on the bedplate. sorry to have failed.

Slow down u didnt fail, its running, can u get under it and see about where the oil is coming from? Look very carefully at all seals from top to bottom since u redid everything[DOUBLEPOST=1414550500][/DOUBLEPOST]If u cant tell, you can get a uv leak detection dye kit for cheap and that will help u pinpoint it very quick

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back