The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Help Selecting Brake Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowkyd278

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2004
Los Angeles, California
I'm trying to find how deep I need to go in brake upgrades for my applications. I drive a 2.4 evo16g making the usual 330 - 370 whp (dynojet)... maybe a bit more but you get the idea.

The car is primarily a daily driver seeing -- 85% of it's life is on the roads. I auto-x occasionally but by no means do it competitively. A majority of the other 15% is spent on open track days. I usually go about once a month -- sometimes 2 -- but usually once.

So do I:

1. Just get a set of good pads (R4-S, R4-E, R4)
2. Add a pair of front rotors too (powerslot, stoptech) to the pads
3. Get a $500 - $700 front brake kit (stage-2 stoptech, baer, powerslot)
4. Get a Wilwood front kit from TCE (13.0" dia x 1.10 or 1.25") for $1400
5. Go all out and get the stoptech big brake kit for $1900
6. There's a deal for a pair of Wilwood 4 piston Aluminum calipers w/ race pads from TCE (12.2" dia x 1.25" 2 piece aluminum hat safety wired rotors) $600

From what I'm reading changing the rears aren't a necessity...

Anyhoo, any input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

A. Do NOT get a drilled rotor for open tracking.
B. Use only a RACE pad (preferably matched compounds to start off), front and rear, for open tracking.
C. Some guys (GreenGSX) are using SS lines/race pads/cooling ducts/stock 2pot brakes, with good results.
D. Others (Slow Old Poop) break 1.1" x 13" rotors like changing socks.
E. The track you are running, and your driving style determine what will really work.
F. I tend to like to err on the side of WAY too much brake, therefore...

I like your option # 4 if $$ isn't tight, or #6 looks like a SMOKING deal. Todd's (TCE) kits and customer service are awesome too.

i'd go for #6. i know the set you're talking about, the guy seems legit i was talking to him about them as well.

I purchased a pair of drilled & slotted TPM rotors, why shouldn't I use them? Because they weren't cheap!

Under open track situations, drilled rotors have a greater chance of cracking around the holes. Doesn't always happen, it's just that non-drilled ones don't have holes to crack around.

I've never heard of Hawk greens, are they new?

JFZERO, are you talking abuot the JDM Galant spindle/EVO VIII caliper swap? That setup is sweet. :cool:

Yeah, he's talking about the JDM Galant knuckles / evo8 switcheroo.

Anyhoo, any more suggestions? List is on first post

Andrew

Under open track situations, drilled rotors have a greater chance of cracking around the holes. Doesn't always happen, it's just that non-drilled ones don't have holes to crack around.

JFZERO, are you talking abuot the JDM Galant spindle/EVO VIII caliper swap? That setup is sweet. :cool:

Yeah, he's talking about the JDM Galant knuckles / evo8 switcheroo.

Anyhoo, any more suggestions? List is on first post

Andrew

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back