The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Help reading rod bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koho2731

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 28, 2005
Dover AFB, Delaware
Well I'm pretty sure I spun a bearing two weeks ago on the way home from workafter I spun the tires in 3rd (black ice/oil) and the engine free reved for a second. I developed a nasty knock when I went to drive the car that night. I was a very faint knock at idle, but anything over 2500 wasn't pretty. The car has been driven maybe 5 miles since the bearing went out so hopefully it's not to bad. Any way here is #4 I pull today to get the size of the bearing so I can throw a bandaid on it untill I have time to swap in a short block, but is this normal wear for 107k? I'm going to pull the rest once I have the new bearings to swap out them all. Again this is a temp fix to last two months at the most and I'm dropping the boost down to 6psi to take as much load off the bearings as posible.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

From my experance it looks like there was alot of side loading on the bearings from excessive crankshaft end play. What did the thrust bearings look like?? Low boost levels are not going to solve your problems the damage is done and everytime you use the clutch your going to be putting this wear on the bearings. If it were me I would try to come up with a 6 bolt that has better oiling to the thrust bearings.

Just wanted to add that megan crank pulley your using is part of your problem.

From my experance it looks like there was alot of side loading on the bearings from excessive crankshaft end play. What did the thrust bearings look like?? Low boost levels are not going to solve your problems the damage is done and everytime you use the clutch your going to be putting this wear on the bearings. If it were me I would try to come up with a 6 bolt that has better oiling to the thrust bearings.

The is to swap a 6 bolt short block in mid April. I just don't know how to read the bearing. Thanks for the help. I was going to run low boost to take as much load off the bearings as possible to help make is last until I can get the car into the shop.

I would just find a beater or something because if you keep driving on that bearing you will not have a motor left at all. It will eventually probably seize up and throw the rod through the block if it caused enough damage. I wouldnt' chance it. My car is my only car and DD which does suck but I ended up without a car a few times.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back