The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Help, please-Safe to Buy GST With Rebuilt Engine?

Is it safe to buy an Eclipse GST With Rebuilt Engine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2kul4skul

Probationary Member
Feb 25, 2014
Sterling, Virginia
Hi everyone,

I need someone who knows about engine rebuilds. I am trying to buy an Eclipse GST With a rebuilt engine. I've owned 2 Eclipses (GS&GSX) but never with a rebuilt engine.The owner has the receipts for the rebuild and the Better Business Buearu rated the shop the work was done at as an A+. Is it safe to buy an Eclipse with a rebuilt engine? I've heard different things, both positive and negative, but I thought I'd ask the pros.

Thanks everyone!

As long as whatever shop (or individual) does the rebuild correctly you can actually come out with a better engine due to tolerances. Reasoning behind this is from the factory bearing clearances rings to say a few are just "good enough". Tighter tolerances equal a tighter motor, and as long as it's not too tight, the engine will run better, last longer, and overall be a better motor.

Is this a bad color for a GST? Everything about it I love, except the color. It's a 97 with about 75k original miles, stored for winter, not driven in rain or snow, custom paint, only mods are BOV and boost guage. It's everything I want in the car except for the color. Any thoughts?

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Turbo Clean Survivor

On your original question it all depends on the shop. They may have an A+ from the BBB but what engines do they normally do? How many times have you read a post of some guy took his dsm to a shop and it turns into a costly nightmare.
To trust a rebuilt engine I would want to know what machines the shop has, about the shop itself, and all the details of the build. How specs were checked, etc. Basically they would have to show me a blueprinted spec sheet.

On that green one. I like it. Not my fav color but it could grow on me. Looks clean. Hate the gauge wiring. The placement is ok of the gauge but man taped up wire loom.....
Low miles. turbo. Maybe never molested. High price.
Then comes the question is it worth the extra? You would have to nose around. See any splices in wiring harness under the dash? strut tower rust? How about under the car? Anything seem a little out of place? Basically has it been modded run hard then packaged up as stock untouched.
How many owners? car fax? What has been replaced?
$6k can buy alot of cars.

Thanks for the reply 2slow4now. This is what the seller said about the car, and that is another reason it attracted me, I'm not a fan of the color either, but I just cant help but wonder, is there any really many cars in this good of shape out there? The price is high, but I intend to negotiate. Here is what he said:

"Girlfriend bought the car from original owner and it has a clear NC title never been wrecked. We dont even drive this car in the snow or rain. We have it stored inside for winter. Runs and drives like a brand new car. Its a rare find in this condition, but we are trying to save up for a down payment for a house otherwise we wouldnt consider selling this car. Timing belt was done last summer with Mitsubishi oem parts. Forge adjustable Blow Off Valve and ProSport electrical boost guage. The stock turbo boosts 15psi..has K&N filter. We run synthetic oil in it also. I have a ton of pictures when it was all done and you can meet my mechanic Eric. I even saved the old timing belt water pump etc and took lots of pix when he did all the work on weekends. He builds Mitsubishis here and town and does amazing work."

If all of that is true, than this could be really good. I just don't know about the paint.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back