The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Help Please, Massive Oil Leak, Engine Blown?=(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLiP OuT MaN

Probationary Member
May 21, 2006
Southern Cali, California
Well I was on the freeway coming home and I look in the rear view mirror and see a massive trail of smoke. I was cruising around 90mph and may have been in a litte bit of boost. The smoke covered the whole freeway and I couldnt even see the cars behind me. It was bluish whitish I believe(I think oil leaked onto my exhaust). I check out my OIL pressure gauge and that thing was on the L, as soon as I saw that I shut the car off and was determined to coast home. I got off the freeway and I had to turn the car on for honestly 2 seconds to get a little roll going. It fired right up and I got my roll going. I coasted home 2 miles believe it or not tuggin the wheel back n forth to get as much momentum as I could. I get home and just park the car because I was fed up at the moment, had been doing things prior to the car and working on it a lot. I love the car, and will keep it no matter what happens. Ok anyways when it was inspection time I go out there and WOW oil is EVERYWHERE, I mean the whole under carraige had drips comming off with oil. I even had oil in my RIM on the drivers side. I didnt have oil sitting on the passenger side rim though. I check out the radiator, that thing is topped off and clean. I drain the oil that was left in the car and I had maybe 1/4 of a quart if that? I didn't have any metal shavings or coolant mixed in the oil. Just a little bit of oil, hardly nothing. I try to inspect and I honestly can't figure out what happened, My first thought was I blew the head gasket but I'm honestly not even sure. I pull out the battery, intercooler pipes, radiator etc, inspect and I really can't figure it out. I thought it would have been so easy to find out due to the massive oil loss. Well I can't figure it out. I see traces of oil around the oil filter but its just lil drips not COVERED in oil. Wow I need some help and input. Also its not the oil return line on my turbo because I had fixed that, the metal one cracked and leaked. Any input, any anything will help me, I'll do what it takes. Tell me what to do I'll do it! Thanks all :dsm:

A couple other things to check.. things that have made my GST leak Oil. Oil around the oil filter probably means the boost (common problem) made the oil cooler bolt unscrew from the housing.. so take off the oil filter and screw the bolt in if it is loose. Also what ultimately was my main problem was the paper gasket that goes around the oil pump. It was leaking oil. It sounds like either oil blew out from behind the oil filter (oil cooler bolt) or the gasket blew. Could of course be a ton of other things, but that's just some things to check based on my previous experience. Btw, I would also blow alot of white smoke at high RPMs due to those problems. Don't do it now.

FLiP OuT MaN said:
Any input, any anything will help me, I'll do what it takes. Tell me what to do I'll do it! Thanks all :dsm:

Go outside and figure out where it's leaking from? Internet will not help you here. Just go outside and figure out where you are losing oil.

If you want a tip, fill the motor up with oil, take off the timing belt and turn the oil pump sprocket with a drill 2500rpm drill or so. Pinpoint the leak. It could be a seal, a gasket, a crack, anything.

Investigate first, internet second, fix last.

Wow, amazing... My oil filter was kind of loose and I took it off... the whole enitre housing is loose... that bolt that goes in with the threads on it... Thanks a lot 2bclutch.. Internet at its best! LOL :p I hope this is the problem going out there RIGHT NOW and tightening it up and putting on a new oil filter, will post a update, THANKS AGAIN 2BCLUTCH!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back