The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Help on a rebuild of a 1990 6 bolt short block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmGSTtuner

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2012
lexington, South_Carolina
I just bought a 1990 6 bolt short block for $100! Is that a good deal or what? I'm using it for my rebuilt back-up engine.

I'm just wondering, where should I start rebuilding this? Can I reuse the pistons? Thanks ahead of time guys!

Well the pistons depend on how worn they currently are, pictures would do great when determining if something is usable or not, and even if it is.
SHOULD it be used is another concern :D I'm doing a simple rebuild myself and I'll let you know right now, extremepsi and rockauto are going to be
your best friends. I would say make sure everything on that block is in useable condition like the rods and crank, other than that i would would just buy a new set of pistons, ITM,
NPR, Topline, all are sufficient for a rebuild and fairly cheap.

First thing is get it up on a stand and pull it apart. Take pics of the teardown.

Do you have a basic dial indicator on a magnetic base?

What are your goals and budget?

Are the bearings in decent shape? Do the rods have a black tint, main caps? That would indicate an overheating event and would been machined. Also pull the balance shafts and look at the bearings. If they are still silver, you probably have a good block.

Do an autopsy and post back.

What are your power goals? Just a stock back up?

Just go through the FSM and measure each part for serviceability if that's the case

I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to tear into it tomorrow and post the results. I know a freeze plug is half way out though. As far at the black tint, I think it looks normal on the inside. There isn't any black tinting.

As far as my power goals go, I'm just going for a stock back up motor. Maybe 300 HP or so.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back