The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Help needed with 2Gb Auto to 2Ga manual Dash Wiring Harness Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicket_Eclipse

Probationary Member
May 31, 2012
Wisconsin Rapid, Wisconsin
Well I'm on to my 3rd DSM. I've owned a 97 RS totaled in an accident that I parted to build my current 98 RS both where automatics, but lately my 98 has spun a rod bearing, or I'm 90% sure that's what it is. It still runs solid but ticks loud on start up, and randomly although just no beating on it. :cry: The junkyard wanted $400 for an engine. :cry: so I picked up a 1996 RS for $1000 that had an electrical fire behind the dash :tease: originally with the intention of removing my dash harness and needed parts to place in to it.

Anyways here is my dilemma, I'm curious as to whether the harness from my 1998 Eclipse RS Auto will plug right in and work with the 1996 Eclipse RS Manual, if not I'm curious if someone can walk me through the steps preferably with pictures as to what needs to be done to make it work with everything including the reverse lights although of course if someone has a 2GA harness they know is the same and they are willing to part with here in Wisconsin I would be more than happy to purchase it as then i will have 2 running DSM's. Although 1 will still need an engine rebuild or swap down the road.

Last edited:
your harness should work fine, I've done 2 auto to manual swap in these cars and all you will have a problem is that you will have to bypass that clutch interlock switch and your car will start even without pressing the clutch and also will have to figure out the wires for the reverse, other than that should be fine.

Oh well that looks like the plan then I guess, turns out the dash area is to burned up to replace so I will need to pull the engine and transmission from the 96 RS to go into my 98 RS. So I just wire the two wires together to bypass the neutral safety i understand that part, or that's most of what i have read, curious if i keep the sensor and extend the cables there instead of connect them together will it work like intended where you have to push in the clutch to start the car? But my largest area of confusion is the speedometer, as I can't go far without it. will it work? or how hard is it to make it work i noticed a lot of people seem to have problems with it, I'm also guessing I will have to unplug the TCU, every thread I look at isn't very specific about it but I believe a manual doesn't use it correct me if I'm wrong. Also concerned as to whether or not my cruise control will still work and if not what has to be done to make it do so

I've been looking at that actually :) Just hoping the wire colors are the same and the part I quote "You need to wire up the speed sensor for the manual transmission. The diagram above shows the speed sensor. You need to wire up the speed sensor plug to connect those pins to the correct wires at the ECU and TCU. The pin locations at the ECU and TCU changed over the years, so you should just follow the wire colors. Tap into the wires at the ECU and TCU instead of cutting them off. It would be wise to solder and wrap these connections." is confusing I would think I'd have to disconnect the TCU so why would I wire it to the TCU unless he is referring to the wire that goes to the TCU after its disconnected. Just don't want to get in over my head...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back