The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G HELP NEEDED BELTS (solved)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VivaLaOC

Proven Member
Mar 16, 2021
La Grande, Oregon
Uh yeah I know already that I need to research but I've looked pretty much everywhere on YouTube and Google but none really specifically say with certainty what needs to be done. So I drove an hour away from home this morning and my power steering/alternator belt broke and I'm pretty sure not 100% but the waterpump maybe too, anyways my question is, how do I install the belts cause I pulled over as soon as I smelled burning rubber and as soon as I pulled into the maverick my battery light was on and ps was completely gone and I knew immediately it broke but checked to be sure and sure enough it was. Anyhow I need a diagram and also some instruction on a how to please and thank you.

P.S. I just got hired on at o'rilley's and I start today 😂 what a great coincidence

Edit: car has ac thats the only difference between the cars I read about the belts for.

The alternator belt is separate from the power steering belt but it is possible one took out the other. You will need to loosen the pivot at the bottom of the alternator, on the back side, just above the oil filter. Then you need a 14mm to loosen the alternator hold down bolt on the front side of the alternator. That bolt holds the alternator in place. There is a small, 10mm headed bolt (that could be a 12mm, can't remember) facing the front of the car, just below the alternator. That is the belt tensioner. You use it to tighten the belt up to proper tension before locking it in place with the alternator hold down bolt (the 14mm one). I use a ratcheting wrench for that or you will wear out your arm. The PS is the same way. Loosen the pivot at its bottom and then it has ONE bolt in the back that holds its adjustment in place and TWO bolts up front, that are UNDER the PS pump pulley. That is why that pulley has TWO holes in it. Loosen them and then the PS belt will be adjustable. Reverse procedure to install the belts.
Sounds like a nightmare doesn't it????
Once you do it, you will get the hang of how it is all put together. The alternator belt is a 39" 4 rib belt. The PS belt is 26 3/8" V-belt. A/C is a 38" 4 rib belt.
Good luck, it just takes some time but not difficult. :thumb:
Marty

I stock all of them at my shop, here is what I keep on hand.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So it's two different belts? I'm about to go buy them but I need to be sure so I don't have to go back because my car is an hour away.

Edit: I didn't see the actual post just the diagram thank you so much you're awesome!

Before you install the belts check the different pulleys to see if any bearings aren't locked up & make sure they spin easily.

You should also check the condition of your harmonic balancer. It's a common failure point and would definately throw belts if it failed.

Yup check the harmonic balancer. You’ll lose ps, water pump and alternator AND POSSIBLY JUMP TIMING if it ate up you timing cover. I did a 2g 4g63 recently and you can’t pull the harmonic balancer without removing the d/s engine mount as there isn’t enough room. What engine is this?

Yup check the harmonic balancer. You’ll lose ps, water pump and alternator AND POSSIBLY JUMP TIMING if it ate up you timing cover. I did a 2g 4g63 recently and you can’t pull the harmonic balancer without removing the d/s engine mount as there isn’t enough room. What engine is this?
Fortunately it was just accessories, ill check the pulleys when I get back to the car but I'm almost certain the belts were just bad because it always squeaked when starting but once it warmed up it was fine. I was meaning to change belts anyhow but yes ill check them all, thank you everyone. And I'm confirming now so the PS, AC, and ALT are all separate belts? The engine is a 4G63T 98 GS-T i think if any of the pulleys are at fault it may be the AC, because when I would have the heater on it squealed at times but not always.

Yes. You have p/s belt, alt & wp share the same belt, lastly ac belt. 3 accessory belts in total.
Okay, I can live without the ac belt for now though correct? Because they don't have it in stock here
Yes. To put it on when you get it, you’d just have to remove the alt belt.
Perfect I figured as much, thank you ill just do that then so I can get her home, thank you guys. I'm getting the belts now and if i.have any other questions I'll ask more than likely while I'm in the middle of doing it LOL

All good we’re here to help. If the harmonic balancer looks old, replace it because it will not be a good day if/when it comes apart. Same goes for the timing belt. There will be no warning if/when these fail.

All good we’re here to help. If the harmonic balancer looks old, replace it because it will not be a good day if/when it comes apart. Same goes for the timing belt. There will be no warning if/when these fail.
So they only have the alt belt but that's what powers the wp as well right? Is the ps and ac just different then?

Yes. And when tightening, it is best to be just a bit loose than too tight so you don't ruin a water pump bearing or seal. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back