The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Help my pick spring rates

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
I've read every spring rate thread on the site and I'm still indecisive. Ive spoken personally with a few members on here, all of which say the polar opposite of one another, on their choices and still can't decide so I'm hoping I am sort it out here.

I'm getting a set of feal coilovers for my 2g. The original plan was to go straight for spring rates geared for road racing cause I would like to move on that direction within the next 2-3 years after I graduate from college. After reading every thread I decided to start more with a default DG suggestion of a 2:1 f/r ratio to begin with because I've never had a decent enough set of coilovers to know how they handle and whatnot.

I called up Odi yesterday and placed my order for a set valved for a 12kg front and 6kg rear because that was as close as I could get to the 650/350 setup most koni setups come with and retain the 2:1 ratio. I also went with these rates because he said I could swap out the springs as long as I stayed with +-2kg, so that seems like the most "tunable" rates for a beginner like me who needs to learn how different springs act. Currently the order is set to ship with the 12/6 spring rates but I'm concerned now that that setup will under steer terribly and it's just a waste of time to even run that setup because I'll just want to swap springs to make it more neutral immediately.

All I've used up to now are stock and tokico's with their springs. I believe their rates come out to a 1.75:1 front rear ratio and it under steers terribly, which leads to my concern about the 2:1 ratio suggested. I plan to get a bigger rear bar which is why I went with the 6kg rear. I couldn't get a 350 rear spring cause they're metric so I figured the 6kg/rear bar combo would get me the closest. I don't think he will have my coilovers build for a few days so I can still change the springs hopefully to better suit my needs.

I'd like to have the car as neutral as possible while keeping in mind my car is primarily a street car so I cant get too crazy with the rear rate. I plan to get a rear bar and stick with the stickiest street tires I can get at 235-245 widths if that helps any. Basically I'm just looking for people's suggestions for my setup before Monday and hopefully I can get the springs setup right before he ships them to me. Thanks for your input.

I can help a little bit as i spent the last year also debating this and i decided to go the math route to get my frequencys right then what others have said. You said road racing you your going to need somewhat high freq, i went with a 12/8 and tbis gave me a balanced frequency from 2.3HZ to 2.1Hz. Its good and i find this very comfy though even though its above the 400 rear everyone dreads about. I am going to recalculate and possibly try for a 14/10kg as i think this would be much firmer and take me closer to my Hz range i need to go to in order to achieve the more race feel, this would roughly bring my Hz to about 2.7/.2.4Hz which is on the very boarder of being into full race setup so expect a harsher and stiff ride. I have used mine on the roads and i have no issues with quality or the spring rates i currently have, i personally feel as if anytbing around 400 is too soft in the rear and 12 is about average in the front, but remember to take into consideration your ARB's aswell as it may effect that somewhat

I run 650/350 on a 200 tw tire and I can adjust from being pretty loose to pretty tight autoxing. Still don't have a lot of time on them so but I'd run them again. Also have feals and love them

Be careful with this. There are a bunch of "200tw" street tires out there, that won't hold a candle to dedicated autocross or road racing tires rated at 200tw.

I run 180tw tires on my car (yoko advan a13c, stock Evo X tires) and they don't hold a candle to Rivals, RE71's, Star Spec II, etc. and those tires are rated at 200tw.

Did you get around to trying 700/ 400 spring rates?

That's about what I'm looking for dd/autox

I’m now on 800/550 and I want more rear spring still. I just got my shocks revalved so going to run these for a few events before I make any changes.

For smallish size tires (255 or smaller) I would probably run 600/350.

I talked with ground control and ended up ordering 600/400 I think this setup is quite good I either need to play with adjusting the rear koni damper setting or order some 350# springs. I live in an area with not awesome roads lots of pot holes and streets full of cracks.

For handling and road control, amazing. Great upgrade from eibach pro kit. Pro kit would have been great for me if I could live with the complete lack of ground clearance and bottoming out shocks off and on but I can't live with that so, If you live in an area with great roads they might work for you.

Wow this came back after so many years!
Well i guess to update im on 800lb front and 900lb rear and feels nice and tight. The rear for me always felt slow in transtion and working with roll centers and trying to speed it up the resr for me needed a bigger increase so at the moment thats what im liking but alot may find this harsh ( i still think its semi comfy) LOL

Damn those rates are high, drive this thing on the street much or mostly track?
I drive it on the street yes, pot holes are fun but other then that i like how it feels. Its just not suited for long journeys now, so i can do about 1.5-2hrs before i start to get fedup LOL but street driving is boring anyway. Im sure when racing you forget everything about comfort and your mind is else where

I was reading some posts about you should setup this way for autox this way for street and this way for road race. Tbh I feel like konis and ground control offer a pretty capable setup. The autox guys rave about the konis, which are really that good. But it's great on the street too. So there is a middle ground.

I was reading some posts about you should setup this way for autox this way for street and this way for road race. Tbh I feel like konis and ground control offer a pretty capable setup. The autox guys rave about the konis, which are really that good. But it's great on the street too. So there is a middle ground.
Its always going to be driver prefference and one way may not work well for another. The other option is cost, konis dont alow you to grow alot because your always limited at the end. So they work well yes but when the future comes your spending more money in the long run and upfront with parts that can be altered to a certain point before needing revalving,

Its when the dg konis were about i reslly wanted them but.. sfter reading their limits vs costs i decided not to bother as for me they was too much with little growth and before i knew it was would need coilovers dedicated etc

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back