The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Help..my ass got reffed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaman

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Chula Vista, California
I knew it was gonna happen eventually. I was driving normally while this idiot next to me in a 05 Spyder speeds up and I'm the one that gets pulled over because I don't have a front license plate. He asked to pop my hood and all that bs and tells me I have to see the state ref.

My question is do I have to totally go back to stock? Because I passed smog with the same mods a year ago, visual inspection as well. The problem is that I don't have all my stock parts. And the cop said if i pass the smog test everything is good. He did not mention anything about going back to stock. I'm sure I can pass the test because I have a damn $300 obd2 cat on.

I also called the court asking if I could just pay the fine instead. The clerk said that my ticket was not in their system yet and i'd have to wait 3-4 weeks to find out my option. Now could I just go to the court with my ticket and pay the fine there?

This is my first time in this situation..any advice/help is appreciated.

Why do you people allow the cop too look under the hood? WTF ?
It is OK to say NO, you may not search my car, no you may not look under my hood No get the FK away from my car.
If the cop gets an attitude, show him your inspection sheet.
Tell him, if it can pass inspection, you do not need to see it.

Bostedquest said:
Why do you people allow the cop too look under the hood? WTF ?
It is OK to say NO, you may not search my car, no you may not look under my hood No get the FK away from my car.
If the cop gets an attitude, show him your inspection sheet.
Tell him, if it can pass inspection, you do not need to see it.

i believe CA is so ####ed up that if they ask, you MUST show them... :notgood:

halik

Yes, in cali they will impound your car if you refuse on some ocasions. If you passed smog just go like you are, if not, then just borrow stock parts from someone. http://sddsm.org is your friend. Many locals will lend parts if you ask nicely, or even sell cheap.

i am so happy i live in north dakota, the cops could car less about emmisions. :thumb: however the snow sucks. :notgood:

Florida, man-- no emissions, no snow. It's good not having to put up with smogging the car any more-- I moved here from San Diego a couple years ago. I still miss some stuff, but emissions isn't one of them.

On a related note, I once got a ticket in SoCal for no front license plate too-- it's just a fix-it ticket from what I remember.

Other than emisions Cali is not that bad. Daily living expenses is pretty high though compared to other states and we only get 91 octane. I guess Cali does suck. We do have great weather though.

And yes we have to pop the hood if asked otherwise were screwed.

Anyway, anyone know how much the fine is? Im thinking of just going this route.

If you passed, and hve a legit copy of the test... why switch back...
go to court, show the judge the resdults and anything the cop said it pointless. Your legal.

I will never move to cali... just too F'D up...
EPA nazi's, cops that have no respect for the people THEY are SUPPOSED to SERVE, not HARASS... :notgood:

no, you dont have to pop your hood for teh cop. if they have no probable cause to search under your hood, then they cant. I live in cali and ive seen it done before. You do not have to pop your hood if you get pulled over for speeding. Just tell the pig NO!!!!!!!

adn then he calls and gets a warrant, makes you wait while they get it and process it, then pops it anywyas and you get in trouble and a ticket for not cooperating.
If you do shit your gonna get caught. maybe not then, but you will, and at the worst possible time

Next time you post a topic, you might want to re-think posting My ass got reffed. It sounds as if you got ass raped by a homosexual and you are wondering what you should do about it.

97GS-TSpyder said:
adn then he calls and gets a warrant, makes you wait while they get it and process it, then pops it anywyas and you get in trouble and a ticket for not cooperating.
If you do shit your gonna get caught. maybe not then, but you will, and at the worst possible time
The warrant requires a judge.
I do not know any judges that will do a search warrant do simply because he was speeding. That is a far far reach.
Then the judge will ask if he has a current (this year) smog inspection. If he does have a current inspection, the cop will get yelled at by the judge and set straight as to when, and when not to call and ask for a warrant.

And no he would not get into trouble because he made the cop get an illiegal search warrant. He was standing up for his rights not to be harrased.
If the cop thinks he can get away with getting the warrant let him.

The driver did nothing worng but the traffic violation. A simple traffic violation will not and will never require a cop to search your car*. * means that unless you wreak of alcohol and or open containers... DUH... but a speeding ticket, stop sign... you get what I mean, will never require the cop go into your car. You have EVERY RIGHT IN THE WORLD to tell him to piss off, NO YOU CANNOT search my car, you do not have my consent.

I was visiting a friend in S/D one time... got pulled over for failure to yield at a green light?
The conversation...

I asked where was the yeild sign?

He said it is an understood law that you yeild for turning traffic at this crossing. (it was a 2 lane 4 way crossing with lights)

I said, look at my plates (from FLA -with Cecil Field base stickers in plain sight) do I look like I live around here?

Sir, if your going to get an attitude I can hold you here all night.

You try that, by the way, what is your name, badge number preceint (sp?) and sarges number please? (He got a preplexed look on his face)
I asked for the info again.
He paused, went back to his squad car and came back with the info.

Sir may I have your consent to search your car. I want to look under the hood for illegal products that may have been installed.

No, you may not. And even if I did let you, the vehicle is not registered here and has not and will not be in your state for more then 3-4 days. So I am not subject to your emissions laws.

I can get a warrant.

Go ahead, try to get one. Meanwhile I will call your sargent. Which I did.
Discussed the situation with the sargent (which he was appologetic). He asked for the cop to be put on the phone.
I turned up the volume and and informed the officer that he had someone that wanted to speak to him. I could hear ALOT of screaming coming from the other end.

He hands me back my phone, Sir have a nice night, please be more careful.

SO, no they may not search your car at will. They can only do it with probable cause, or if the situation warrants it.

My god people... get a mini binder with the laws written in them. That way when the cop tries to overstep his bounds, you have it right there in black and white to show him!

Again, it's best to not discuss another state's regulations unless you've lived them.

Yes, in California, for all practical purposes you do have to pop the hood. A tire size larger than stock or aftermarket wheels will be enough to constitute probable cause. At that point, an officer telling you to open your hood for inspection purposes is a lawful order which you must obey.

Well i'm pretty much almost stock. My appointment for the ref is this tuesday. All that's left is a 3" turboback and some gauges and turbo timer inside the car. I'll probably just leave it though.

Anyone know if they're anal about aftermarket gauges?

werd, like defiant said. boostedquest do you live in cali? dont think so, things are ran a little differently here. you could be driving with a brake light out and a cop pull you over, give you a ticket for the light, then notice you look like a "tuner" type of car, and ask to pop the hood, if you say yes, youre screwed. if you say no, they say "probable cause" and youre screwed. just the nature of the beast. we have the best places to hang out, the hottest chicks, the fastest cars, but the downside is cops that are smarter than any other state because of that. you used to be able to say the safc is a cd changer control, but cops now have to take classes on knowing everything about the racing culture, its cars, mods, and people.

Thomas91169 said:
werd, like defiant said. boostedquest do you live in cali? dont think so, things are ran a little differently here. you could be driving with a brake light out and a cop pull you over, give you a ticket for the light, then notice you look like a "tuner" type of car, and ask to pop the hood, if you say yes, youre screwed. if you say no, they say "probable cause" and youre screwed. just the nature of the beast. we have the best places to hang out, the hottest chicks, the fastest cars, but the downside is cops that are smarter than any other state because of that. you used to be able to say the safc is a cd changer control, but cops now have to take classes on knowing everything about the racing culture, its cars, mods, and people.

LOL we got owned! :notgood: But california is my home :thumb: And like you said, we have the hotest girls and fastest cars! :dsm:

I have a friend that went and got a PO box in another state. Then used that to regester his vehicle and get a license from that state. Just a way to get around the smog issue.

If you get a ticket to go to a reff in CA, you can wait for the invoice in the mail. They'll give you the option to just "pay them off" so you don't have to do it. Mine was $300. I believe Scrymmer's was similar. Pay that and you won't have to go. After you pay it, move to Florida.

my_gst95

It's pretty much how Guy said it is. :(

I'm sure he will be dancing right alongside me when CA slides off into the ocean. Then, we'll go to Arizona Bay. :cool:

im in vt and cops dont care as long as ur car isn't rediculously loud. then they will pull u over...they did that to my brothers fart can car, but he was also redlining when the cop heard him...oops

doug684 said:
I have a friend that went and got a PO box in another state. Then used that to regester his vehicle and get a license from that state. Just a way to get around the smog issue.

doesnt work. you can only drive your car registered to another state for so long. you can have a license for nevada and a po box but if youre pulled over once, you might get lucky, the second time, bend over and get ready for unlubed rapeage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back