The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Help me pick a turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For literally any other turbo it's a guess,
so if you think you're going to put a 10AN drain on a Borg Warner and have zero issues you're mistaken.
BW efr turbos call for an 8AN drain fitting

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

------------------

Garrett:

-----------------

Turbonetics:

===========================

here is a 10an to 1/2"npt adapter compared to the OEM holset drain

I run a cut 2g drain tube (17 bucks) a piece of 3/4 hose about 6" long and a 3/4 threaded t3 barb fitting with the ID drilled out a bit.

total cost me about 30 bucks to put everything together and a little patience so as not to crush the 2g drain tube since it's thin metal. once it seals properly on removal I just undo the upper hose clamp and separate the barb fitting from the hose and lift up and out.

My holset removal takes about 45 minutes now start to finish. given a choice I'd never run anything else again just for the ease of swapping out.

BW efr turbos call for an 8AN drain fitting
EFR series is ball bearing....I assumed we were talking journal bearing here only. If you want to get technical an 8AN drain is probably fine on a GT Garrett turbo too due to the tiny amount of oil they pass but there's no reason to ever go smaller than 10AN and risk damaging a $2000+ turbo since so much hardware is already available.

A couple good videos to watch on the topic of undersized or poorly-run drains:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back