The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Help me out guys Need opinions on accident

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse98Spyder

15+ Year Contributor
May 21, 2006
York, Pennsylvania
Heres the deal:

2 weeks ago my friend (Tom) and I were working on his car and I accidently broke his plastic intake hose, but it was from old age (the car is a 95). Also for the past 2 weeks him and I have been working on my gst wheels getting them ready for paint which he will do for me. Also All this is being done at his girlfriends house (she lives with her parents.) Fast forward to Thursday the 5th. We are working in he garage and his gf's mom backs into my car with her SUV and leaves some nice spyder cracking along the bumper.(I mean the whole car moved, thank god it was in 1st) I go look and go to Toms gf's dad and said can i get your insurance info (he is a big guy btw) and he starts yelling saying my car should of been moved in the first place.

I was like umm ok and let him cool down for 2 days. He is rich so I was hoping he'd pay out of pocket. So after 2 days go by I get a call from Tom saying that Jack (His gf's dad) wants me to get my wheels from his house. So I drive over and he opens the door and all he says is "wheres my $50 dollars!?" Im like WTF are you talking about. APPARENTLY when Tom bought the New OEM Intake he used his credit card and Jack wants the money.Tom NEVER said I had to pay him back* I said I didnt know and then he's demanding I give him the money. I didnt have any because Im poor and in college and I show him my wallet with $0 in it. Im like can I get my wheels now? He said No until I get my money you cant have your wheels and then he said oh and btw I'm going to deny my wife ever hit your car.

Im getting pissed and Im like you cant do that. He laughed and said Im rich you bet I can, so I said Im calling the cops he was like go ahead I dont f*cking care. (undertand he said f*ck many many times during this convo) So I went outside and did and they said theres nothing they can do now and they will call me back. So I went home and the next day (Today) They said that as for the accident there is nothing they can do because it was on his property and for the wheels I have to go to civil court.

Sorry its so long but I dunno what to do Im speaking to a lawyer tomorrow about this all. So I hope anyone who is reading this is as pissed as I am and have been since it happened. I tried to call my friend Tom but he turned his phone off, so it looks he sided with jack since its his gf's dad. The damage is estimated at $700 for new paint and new bumper.

I Honestly want to wait like 3 months go back with a shitty car after it was painted BRIGHT traffic cone orange and fly into his car at night and then leave with a note saying: hmmm sorry I think I hit your car

Opinions

Are you friends with Tom's girlfriend. Usually, girls are alittle easier to talk to about this. All of this seems incredibly childish on your friend's gf's dad's part. In civil court, the only people that make the money are the lawyer. Tell big boy the perjury is a crime and if he denies that she hit you in court, he could go to jail. Also if he doesnt give you back your rims, that theft is also a crime. You're not responsible for your friend charging big boy's credit card.

Thats what I thought and his daughter; Toms gf is a daddys girl so talking to her is like talking a wall. Thanks for your input man Im trying to gauge what i should do

Private property, non-injury crash. The police will have nothing to do with it, and would have had nothing to do with it if you'd reported it when it happened instead of days later.
For the wheels, forget a lawyer, try Small Claims Court. But it'll still be easier to just pay the fifty and be done with it. Friends aren't that hard to find.

Mostly, you're screwed. You'll be ahead to write it off. You'll get caught up..... later.

Wow, I can't believe that, I'm pretty pissed off about the situation just reading it. But after thinking about it I have to agree with Defiant, $50 is a small price to pay to get your wheels back rather than going thru court that could be such a headache and hassle.

For the damage on the bumper, I guess you can't do anything about it. I don't know about your insuranace but I have a $500 deductable so paying $700 isn't too much more. I would probably just pay out of pocket and be done with everyone, your friend, his gf, and her family.

Sorry to hear, and good luck with it.

First off, that sucks!
You should report it to your insurance carrier right away! The longer you wait the, the harder is it is to prove your case. I would take them to civil court, you don't really need a lawyer for that, but it sounds like he just might have one. Most people don't like to deal with the burden of going to court and this will cost him a heck of a lot more money and time. Just make sure you have pictures of your car and see if you can get pictures of hers (more than likely there was no damage to her vehicle). This way will take longer but it usually works out. Unfortunely you will probably lose a friend out of this mess because he can't stand up for himself and do whats right.

i say what you do is take a stroll over to his house and as your walkin in his yard you just happen to fall and get hurt pretty bad. Make sure its on like something that is hazardess so you can take him court and sue his rich ass. Im normaly not one to be sue happy, but this bastard deserves it. plus you wont be a broke collage kid no more and he can be sitten wishin he just gave the wheels and ate the $50 bucks.

I know small claims is the way to go but going through all that and if I lose would be more then $50 so I think Ill be the bigger guy and pay it. But I will wait 2-3 months later when everything calms down and then throw like 3 gallons of paint in there pool or something childish to make me feel better inside. Probably not but still no one wants the other person think they are getting off scott free.

Private property, non-injury crash. The police will have nothing to do with it, and would have had nothing to do with it if you'd reported it when it happened instead of days later.
For the wheels, forget a lawyer, try Small Claims Court. But it'll still be easier to just pay the fifty and be done with it. Friends aren't that hard to find.

Mostly, you're screwed. You'll be ahead to write it off. You'll get caught up..... later.

Theres always a loop hole. If she hit the car and then just was like "Ehhh" and drove off. Then (at least in VA), thats a leaving the scene of an accident. I would be the same as if someone left the road hit someones mail box and took off. But again thats the police responibility and you proving that paint in court with out a police report is going to REALLY complicated things for you.

As for the wheel. It's really up in the air, like Defiant said.

Aside from that. Your (so called) friend broke the code among men; "Bros before Hoes." At the very least, he should have explained things as it really happened, not just side with the party that will get him laid. That dad is an a*s hole for making his daughters boyfriend choose a side. If they were married thats totally different, but even then I would not side with the wrong party.

I say get a nice big machine gun and make their house look like swiss cheese...

Some RPGs would be cool too.
... And some fighter jets, and some gasoline and matches.

Oh, and a machete.

I know small claims is the way to go but going through all that and if I lose would be more then $50 so I think Ill be the bigger guy and pay it. But I will wait 2-3 months later when everything calms down and then throw like 3 gallons of paint in there pool or something childish to make me feel better inside. Probably not but still no one wants the other person think they are getting off scott free.
If you do that then he wins in the end anyway, because he took a respectable man and turned him into a deviant.

If you just pay up and leave it at that, then he loses something worth alot more then $50; and honorable man as a friend. Next, time he needs help with anything tell him that he lost your help over $50.

Here's what I would do.

First, visit three different body shops and get quotes to fix the damage. Then, make copies. Next, get a nice tape recorder and go and confront him at his house. Be extremely professional and courteous. Pay him the $50. Even go as far as to apologize for making him wait for the $50.

Then change the subject and tell him you want to discuss what can be done about his wife hitting your car. Be sure to mention things like names of people involved, specific dates, and vehicle types, but don't be too obvious about it. If you can get him to admit to the accident happening and his wife being at fault, then you're golden. At that point, explain to him that the entire conversion was recorded. Present the copies of the three estimates for repair, and tell him that at the very least you expect to receive the amount of the least expensive quote. Tell him that if you don't receive the amount in full within 5 business days, then you're going to deliver all of your evidence to your lawyer so that he can begin proceedings for a lawsuit.

Remember, if you use your head, the victim wins, and the crook loses. Just don't stoop to his level. Destruction of his property may sound like a good idea (and sure as hell would make you feel better), but would also increase the chance of you receiving punishment instead of him.

Use your head, use the law, and catch him in his own game.
Ohh, and avoid using the garage space of jackasses like him in the future.
Good luck.

Here's what I would do.

First, visit three different body shops and get quotes to fix the damage. Then, make copies. Next, get a nice tape recorder and go and confront him at his house. Be extremely professional and courteous. Pay him the $50. Even go as far as to apologize for making him wait for the $50.

Then change the subject and tell him you want to discuss what can be done about his wife hitting your car. Be sure to mention things like names of people involved, specific dates, and vehicle types, but don't be too obvious about it. If you can get him to admit to the accident happening and his wife being at fault, then you're golden. At that point, explain to him that the entire conversion was recorded. Present the copies of the three estimates for repair, and tell him that at the very least you expect to receive the amount of the least expensive quote. Tell him that if you don't receive the amount in full within 5 business days, then you're going to deliver all of your evidence to your lawyer so that he can begin proceedings for a lawsuit.

Remember, if you use your head, the victim wins, and the crook loses. Just don't stoop to his level. Destruction of his property may sound like a good idea (and sure as hell would make you feel better), but would also increase the chance of you receiving punishment instead of him.

Use your head, use the law, and catch him in his own game.
Ohh, and avoid using the garage space of jackasses like him in the future.
Good luck.

by far the best advice so far. I get my wheels back on Saturday and see if I can get a tape recorder by then thanks:thumb:

You just say that because you got your T-belt cut for being frisky.:p

Don't bother with the tape recorder idea because it is illegal to record someone with out their consent, so that evidence would be thrown out of court. Their may be some states that have different laws in regards to "recording with out consent". So check first!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back