The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Help me!! Do i have a modular clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97talon83

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2010
Franklin, Indiana
guys im trying to figure out if someone did the conversion on my car for the modular clutch because it looks like a normal clutch assembly to me :(

does anyone have pics of a modular clutch or what i need to be looking for:pray:

Does the pressure plate unbolt from the flywheel. IF the flywheel bolted directly to the crank, or is it held on by a flex plate?

the pressure plate seems to be on the flywheel, but i dont know what a flexplate looks like so idk.... if i take a pic of the top ofit would you be able to tell??:thumb:

This is real simple. Does the pressure plate bolt to the flywheel, or is it riveted. Just look at it and see if it has bolts holding it on. IF it is riveted than it is modular, if it is bolted than it is not.

ok i just looked at it, the flywheel has teeth on it correct ?? :)

there is a plate inbetween the teeth and the pressure plate but its bolted on the plate OMG

View image: 2012 03 29 13 03 48

basically if this is a modular clutch how do i take it off :(

how can i take the flywheel of if i cant take of the pressure plate like he said

That looks like an aftermarket modular to me. The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel, but the flywheel is bolted to the flexplate.

i know thats what im confused about LOL

its both ROFL

can i do a normal clutch job on this thing?? Like just change the plate bearing and disc?

You can pull the pressure plate off and inspect the disc, but you won't be able to find a disc and pressure plate that will bolt to it. The non modular stuff is different. You will have to buy another modular if it is damaged, or buy the non modular flywheel and clutch if you want to convert it to a normal clutch.

WOW! so after looking at the modular at orielly i see what the previous owner did :(

they drilled the rivets out and put cheap ass bolts on it.. I am assuming they just changed the clutch disc itself and said hell with the rest, that is super annoying LOL..... so all the vibration we thought was my TOB was actually my pressure plate and disc moving, why are people so cheap now a days LOL

WOW! so after looking at the modular at orielly i see what the previous owner did :(

they drilled the rivets out and put cheap ass bolts on it.. I am assuming they just changed the clutch disc itself and said hell with the rest, that is super annoying LOL..... so all the vibration we thought was my TOB was actually my pressure plate and disc moving, why are people so cheap now a days LOL

It's nothing to do with cheap, but everything to do with being retarded.

It's nothing to do with cheap, but everything to do with being retarded.

LOL, so so very true. ive seen some RIGGED shit, thats nothing bro. hell, when i was a kid i used non automotive grade bolts, not even 8 grade on a clutch. it grenaded and literally ripped the starter off the bellhousing LOL.
a cheap ass kid did that and didnt use the right bollts or torque it properly. easy fix man, just get the modular kit and itll last forever.

This is rigged for sure.. I personally hate the modular setups just because I have the need to change just the disc and not the whole setup. If you don't want to mess with it again just get the modular setup they last a while when properly broke in and driven. And they are cheaper than buying the flywheel and disc and pressure plate setup.

I could be that the clutch was replaced with a rebuildable modular clutch. Fidanza has these in aluminum and steel. I have one on my neon and it is very similar to the picture but is aluminum backing that bolts to the flexplate. The only advantage to having a modular clutch is to not have to use an alignment tool. It just comes pre-assembled. I doubt someone just drilled out the rivets as that would be a job but, may have been. If you want to just get a regular clutch that will just bolt in, find a 95 or early build 96 neon with the DOHC engine (rare, I know as I have one) and see if it has a regular clutch in it. They will have a trans code that shows they were made in Mexico...All Belvidere built neons have modular clutches in them.

Look at the 11th character to see. If it has a D, it was built in the USA and will have a modular clutch...If it has a T, it was built in Toluca, Mexico and all 95 and early 96s built here will have a conventional clutch. Check the transmission as well as the Dohc came with either a 3.55 and .72 5th or a 3.94 and .72 or .81 5th. The 3.94 came in the dsm na's.

After looking at the pictures better, the TO bearing was about gone due to the fingers having lots of wear and the clutch was overheated some and a piece of something broke off and scratched the fingers about half way up. I would check the input shaft and make sure it is within specs. Replace the whole thing and decide if you want a convetional clutch or not. If not, you can get a fidanza clutch with an aluminum backing for a decent price and free up a little rotational weight too. It bolts right up.

ummm ok update :(

my clutch is in and its shifting ok... i put a sachs clutch in it because that is OEM for the car, but i didnt unhook any hydraulics and there is just a little play in the clutch, should i have to bleed it if i didnt unhook the hydraulics???

also ummm im still getting the TO bearing grind noise, many know what this sounds like... but its a new clutch assembly so idk where it is coming from :(

could my pedal beind a little softer than normal have anything to do with it because right now im stumped, its the exact same as before :( if i push the clutch pedal in noise goes away if i release it grinding noise is back seriously WTF

was wondering if i need to bleed the system and maybe the disc isnt 100% pressed against the flywheel because the air?? is that even possible?? WTF

The noise sounds like input shaft bearings in the transmission. With the clutch pushed down the shaft won't be spinning and the noise will stop. When you let the clutch pedal out the noise will start again.

where exactly is the bearing because i didnt see it LOL, is it internally in the transmission or are you talking about the spline??

where exactly is the bearing because i didnt see it LOL, is it internally in the transmission or are you talking about the spline??

They are inside the transmission. They are on each end of the shaft that the clutch disc attaches to.

ohhhh the pilot bearing :)

i wish i woulda checked that when i had it tore apart, dang i didnt even think about it grrr i assumed TOB because the whole clutch was so rigged together.. i dont wanna take it of again its a PITA ROFL

No, not the pilot bearing, the bearings on the shaft inside the transmission. Those transmissions don't use a pilot bearing anyway. The input shaft is splined to the end so there is no surface for a pilot bearing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back