The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Help Installing Door speakers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanro

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 22, 2009
Montgomery, Alabama
So my car has the infinit sound system. I dont know if that matters. Every other car I had you just bolt or screwed the speakers in the door holes.

My gst has these plastic bucket things the door speakers go in. None of the available holes line up with or are even close to the holes in 6.5" door speakers I had laying in the shop. Do I need to remove these plastic speaker buckets or something?

I think I had to get 5 1/4 inch speakers and only put 2 screws in diagonally, and the back speakers i had to cut the plastic because the magnet was to big.

When i swapped my door speakers out i just pulled the plastic pieces out of the door and jiffy rigged the new speakers in between the door and the plastic rain cover. Its worked out so far, but should be able to easily modify the plastic piece too if you have the free time. I would recommend just slapping them in and using zip ties or something.

Its plastic, trust me you can make your own holes. I installed infiniti's into my 99 RS and none of the holes lined up. I just put some muscle into it and made my own holes. Easiest way to do it in my opinion.

My god I just didnt think about zip ties. I am the master of zipties. I "stitched" a shattered saturn fender back together with zipties on my daily.

I think however I found my solution.

Pioneer 6.75/6.5 Speakers. 40 bux at walmart. Have little prongs in a x pattern that reach out the stock holes. I hate mutilating stock stuff. Bad enough I had to cut the ends off the speaker harness. I saved em though incase I can find somewhere to recone my infiniti speakers.

Depending on how thick your speaker surround is, you might also consider removing the "speaker alignment" plastic from the door card, located just behind the speaker grill. I've removed it in both the DSM's I've owned because in both the plastic on the door card managed to touch the passenger speaker just enough to cause some wicked distortion on mid-bass notes. Just a thought.

These 6.5/6.75 pioneers from walmart did not fit. Taking them back getting some 8's and using the tech article on here to those in my doors.

Gonna dynamat both doors, remove the stock plastic speaker holders and mount the 8's in there. Hopefully It will sound decent.

It should sound fine, i would skip the dynamat myself, unless you get a bomb deal on it. My lazy door speaker set up sounds great and i pound the hell out of my system.

you can goto Lowe's and buy some stuff called peel and seal, its in the roofing section. It is the same stuff as dynamat only its 14 bucks a roll (one roll will be enough to cover both doors)

Mainly gonna dynamat the door to seal it up. The air whistling through it gets on my nerves and is kinda chilly in the winter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back