The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Help ID some firewall components

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Rider

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 12, 2009
NW, Connecticut
In the course of cleaning up the engine bay and furthering my understanding of every single part since you know something is going to fail before I get this car back on the street, I'd appreciate some help identifying these components. 1st photo is Pax side, 2nd photo is drivers side, 3rd photo is some vacuum controlled widget off the throttlebody.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And part #7 had a thin aluminum gasket on it. Is there also one between the throttle body and intake manifold as well? It looks polished, but I don't see it as a separate gasket, might be stuck on really well. Wouldn't want to damage it.

Thanks!

Solution

1 = A-53 Noise Condenser
2 = A-54 Defogger Relay
3 = A-55 Injector Resistor Pack
4 = A-13 Solenoid Harness Connector
5 = A-14 Evaporative Purge Solenoid
6 = A-15 Fuel Pressure Solenoid
7 = EGR Valve

1 = A-53 Noise Condenser
2 = A-54 Defogger Relay
3 = A-55 Injector Resistor Pack
4 = A-13 Solenoid Harness Connector
5 = A-14 Evaporative Purge Solenoid
6 = A-15 Fuel Pressure Solenoid
7 = EGR Valve

Solution
7 is the egr valve (exhaust gas recirculation); its an emissions control device. Normally it’s bolted to the cylinder head. It can be removed, and the port on the head blocked off. That is done for the goal of more more power, which is likely marginal on rather unmodified engines, but doesn’t seem to impede normal running. Removing it might be cause for failing a smog test, depending on where you register you car. it does use a thin metal gasket.
all the other parts are well identified in the illustration that was already posted.

Also, I don’t agree with Vegas Smith on 1 and 2: that is the fuel pump check plug (your 2 is A-52) and a condenser (capacitor to us Americans), and helps quell radio interference on the FM radio, which would be generated by the rather substantial motor in the fuel pump. If you ever saw what happens to an old, tube-type television when a running vacuum cleaner comes near, that’s a rather similar effect, but all the time when you’re driving. But like tube TVs, who really listens to FM now..?

Also, I don’t agree with Vegas Smith on 1 and 2: that is the fuel pump check plug (your 2 is A-52) and a condenser (capacitor to us Americans), and helps quell radio interference on the FM radio, which would be generated by the rather substantial motor in the fuel pump. If you ever saw what happens to an old, tube-type television when a running vacuum cleaner comes near, that’s a rather similar effect, but all the time when you’re driving. But like tube TVs, who really listens to FM now..?
Not sure what you are referring to as the connector used to jump the fuel pump, but it’s incorrect. I’ve circled the correct connector that’s used for that

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back